Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
Rate This FAQ
Fall is a good time to establish a new lawn, especially if you are going to be using a cool season grass like Kentucky Bluegrass, that likes cooler weather. Regardless if you are using sod or seed for your new lawn, you will want to give the lawn enough time to get established before it gets too cold. Below I have included a link to a publication that gives recommendations on the types of grasses that work well in our area.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This year we planted our first home garden. It was a lot of fun, but we need to know what to do to make it better next year. Specifically: our plants grew VERY large, but did not yield much fruit. What fruit we did get was typically small and misshapen. We did not fertilize, except some nitrogen along with dead lawn clippings last fall. What should we do this fall to get the soils ready for more fruit and less leaves next year?
- I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?
- I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- I have a small strip (about 1-1 1/2 feet) in front of my brick house that needs to be separated from my front lawn. I would like to put bricks or something to keep the grass from coming through. What would you suggest to use to separate the two areas? What would you suggest to plant?