Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
Rate This FAQ
There are too many varieties of fruit trees and vegetables to list here. We have two booklets, one called "Growing Vegetables, Recommended Varieties for Utah" and another called "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah" Both of these list varieities by name, as well as planting dates, days to maturity, etc. We also have a booklet entitled "Fruit and Nut Variety Recommendations for Utah"
I suggest that you come in and take a look at these booklets. There are new varieties coming out all the time, so it is impossible to always be up-to-date. I enjoy trying a few different varieties of vegetables every year. If you buy your vegetables at a reputable nursery, you should get things that will grow here. For your trees, ask the nurseryman if it will grow in your hardiness zone and in your soil pH. and texture.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
- I have a young (~3 year old) brown turkey fig. I planted it last fall and it survived! the winter. It is producing small figs now but the leaves have a brownish gray powdery looking substance on them. It doesn't rub off but looks like powdery spots. Any clue what it might be or what I should do? The leaves remain green and look healthy. This appeared after the recent heavy rains.
- I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?