Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
Rate This FAQ
There are too many varieties of fruit trees and vegetables to list here. We have two booklets, one called "Growing Vegetables, Recommended Varieties for Utah" and another called "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah" Both of these list varieities by name, as well as planting dates, days to maturity, etc. We also have a booklet entitled "Fruit and Nut Variety Recommendations for Utah"
I suggest that you come in and take a look at these booklets. There are new varieties coming out all the time, so it is impossible to always be up-to-date. I enjoy trying a few different varieties of vegetables every year. If you buy your vegetables at a reputable nursery, you should get things that will grow here. For your trees, ask the nurseryman if it will grow in your hardiness zone and in your soil pH. and texture.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?
- My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
- Some of the bottom leafs on my tomato plants have turned brown and are dying. I have lost one plant and it looks like another may go soon. I am watering three to four times per week and I have been putting a liquid fertilizer on the plants about once a week. Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- Our house is in Murray between the Jordan River and the North Jordan Canal. It faces east, so our backyard in on the west side. We have a steep slope of clay soil. We need some trees which would provide shade and privacy. We have tried river birch, blue spruce and a pine. All have died. We have a deep water system for the trees. The needles on our spruce and pine turned brown and dropped off. What kind of trees could we plant under these circumstances?
- Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy or how to make a truly sturdy tomato cage? The "standard" metal ones I have bought at garden centers have always tipped over when the plant has gotten big.