Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
Rate This FAQ
There are too many varieties of fruit trees and vegetables to list here. We have two booklets, one called "Growing Vegetables, Recommended Varieties for Utah" and another called "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah" Both of these list varieities by name, as well as planting dates, days to maturity, etc. We also have a booklet entitled "Fruit and Nut Variety Recommendations for Utah"
I suggest that you come in and take a look at these booklets. There are new varieties coming out all the time, so it is impossible to always be up-to-date. I enjoy trying a few different varieties of vegetables every year. If you buy your vegetables at a reputable nursery, you should get things that will grow here. For your trees, ask the nurseryman if it will grow in your hardiness zone and in your soil pH. and texture.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- How can I control earwigs in my home and garden?