Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have recently identified three large plants growing on a stream bed in my yard as water hemlock. From what I have read on-line, this is a very poisonous plant. Supposedly the stalks remain poisonous even when dead. My plants are quite bulky, and would fill at least a few garbage cans if cut down. Can you advise me on how to safely deal with these plants?
Rate This FAQ
Waterhemlock is a very poisonous plant so every precaution should be taken when trying to control it. If you remove the weed by digging it up you should take extra care to not cut or damage the plant because cutting it can release the poisonous juice into the soil or the water.
For chemical control it is recommended that you use an herbicide that has glyphosate as an ingredient, Dicamba, 2, 4-D or MCPA.
When you are using any chemical herbicide, especially around water, you should read and follow all of the instructions on the label regarding the proper use and handling of that chemical. Some of the chemicals listed above may have restrictions about their use around water. If you choose a chemical control make sure you read any restrictions before you purchase it. Below I have included a link that includes information on pesticide use and safety.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My husband plants tomato and peppers etc each year. He plants directly under the eves of the house and the water runs off the roof with each rain storm or in the spring run off. I believe this is not good for the soil he is planting the garden in since we have an asphalt roof and I can see the debris from the roof on the soil. He says not a problem, I still have a hard time eating them without thinking I am getting some sort of poison in our systems. Suggestions?
- I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
- Hi, I just recently bought a house in Taylorsville in a older neighborhood. I have noticed some clover that is sort of a deep purplish color coming up all through my yard. What is it and how can I get rid of it?
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?