Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like your hostas are getting a little more sun than they would like. Adding fertilizer will not help the plant if it is already stressed by too much sun. You can help control the yellowing and fading by adding a thick layer of mulch around each plant that will help them retain water. Thick leaved and fragrant hostas usually perform better in sunnier locations. I have included a list of some varieties of hostas that are more sun tolerant.
'Sugar & Cream'
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How close together can flowering pear trees be planted?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?