Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I put in my entire yard in Fruit Heights in late July. I noticed my maple trees are losing leaves, and showing signs of distress. I put sod up to the tree trunks, but I'm wondering if I should cut the sod back, and put mulch in so the tree roots can breath. Good idea? I cut back on the watering as well, which could have been a problem for drainage. Any help?
Rate This FAQ
Usually with new plantings when I see plants loosing leaves it is due to water practices. Either too much or not enough water disrupts the energy flow in plants. More often than not it is too much water. Dig down around the plants and check the soil. You should only water when the top 4-6” becomes dry. Depending on the soil texture that could range from every other day to every 4-5 days. And yes, remove the sod a couple of feet from the tree trunk. Mechanical damage from lawn mowers and weed eaters is the number one killer of young trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- I just recently moved into a home that has these terrible "soda straw" type weeds that I can't get rid of. They pop apart and look like tall drinking straws. I have sprayed them with multiple rounds of poison (extra strength!) and dug them out by hand 2 or three times. They are coming back stronger than ever. What should I do?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.
- We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?