Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a recipe for chili sauce that has tomatoes, onion, sugar, and spices. After it has cooked down, I just put it in hot jars and put the canning lids on. Is that okay, or do I need to process in a boiling water bath?
Rate This FAQ
Will you please send me your chili sauce recipe in full? I need to compare it to the tested recipes we have here in our office. Does your recipe use vinegar or lemon juice as added acid?
If yes: you do need to water-bath it. One recipe for Chili Sauce in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving sais to process for 15 minutes (adjust for Utah County Altitude by adding 10 minutes for a total of 25 minutes).
If no: If it does not have added acid (vinegar or lemon juice), then it would need to be pressure-canned to ensure a safe product. I don't have a recommended time on that until I can look at the recipe a little more closely.
The purpose of processing a product is to ensure that it has reached a safe internal temperature, which kills any lingering micro-organisms. Tomatoes are right on the border of low-high acid levels - some are more acidic and some are less. This is why almost every tomato canning recipe (unless it's pressure-canned) calls for added acid (lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid). The added acid allows us to use the water-bath canning method, rather than having to pressure-can it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I heard products with hydrogenated fats are bad for you. What are hydrogenated fats and can I eat them?
- Are Artificial Sweeteners Safe?
- Can a Person safely eat the head of any venomous snake? If not, why?
- I found weevil in my flour, I have fruit flies, or there are other pantry pests in my kitchen, what do I do?
- I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
- What is being done to promote healthy eating in schools?
- The nectarines on my tree are not round and smooth; they are lumpy. Is there something I need to do for the tree?
- How many tomatoes, potatoes, etc. in a pound?