Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
Rate This FAQ
The food storage can be in any size of container. The “Use It or Lose It” food storage book, prepared by USU suggests finding storage containers that fit the space you have available and in a size that matches the frequency in which you use the product stored. It is possible to use gallon bottles, smaller jars or individual containers. Use only products designed for food – which would include Rubbermaid containers
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?