Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
Rate This FAQ
Utah soils are already very alkaline. Adding lime would make it more alkaline, so don't do that. Make sure that you get rid of all your perennial weeds like bindweed (morning glory), and weed grasses (quack grass) before you seed. A Kentucky Bluegrass blend is an excellent choice, especially if it will have much traffic (football games, tag, soccer, etc).
If you want to see what some of the different grass varieties look like, go up to the Jordan Water Conservancy District at 8215 So. 1300 W in West Jordan. They are open 8-8 seven days a week There is no charge. If you go into the building, you can ask for someone to come and take you on a tour and tell you about the different grasses and their water use. All of their plants are labelled really well, so take your camera because the labels will show up very readable.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?