Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
Rate This FAQ
Utah soils are already very alkaline. Adding lime would make it more alkaline, so don't do that. Make sure that you get rid of all your perennial weeds like bindweed (morning glory), and weed grasses (quack grass) before you seed. A Kentucky Bluegrass blend is an excellent choice, especially if it will have much traffic (football games, tag, soccer, etc).
If you want to see what some of the different grass varieties look like, go up to the Jordan Water Conservancy District at 8215 So. 1300 W in West Jordan. They are open 8-8 seven days a week There is no charge. If you go into the building, you can ask for someone to come and take you on a tour and tell you about the different grasses and their water use. All of their plants are labelled really well, so take your camera because the labels will show up very readable.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- I planted my vines mid may before the endless rains. Now many leaves are turning black in spots. Will this correct itself as things dry out and warm up?
- I live in Mapleton. I have been reading about the James Pecan Tree, which is supposed to mature by September 1st and be okay in zone 5. What do you think about my trying to grow it here? How do they do?
- I am considering a weeping willow for my back yard. I have not heard good things about them being planted in Salt Lake. What is your opinion, and would I be better going with a different species or will a willow be fine?
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- i was baking a chicken casserole last night. the power went out after about 30 minutes of baking. i put it in the fridge. then, i cooked it for 1 and 1/2 hours more when the power came back on 3 hours later. i put it back in the frige. is it safe to eat tonight?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application