Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
Rate This FAQ
Utah soils are already very alkaline. Adding lime would make it more alkaline, so don't do that. Make sure that you get rid of all your perennial weeds like bindweed (morning glory), and weed grasses (quack grass) before you seed. A Kentucky Bluegrass blend is an excellent choice, especially if it will have much traffic (football games, tag, soccer, etc).
If you want to see what some of the different grass varieties look like, go up to the Jordan Water Conservancy District at 8215 So. 1300 W in West Jordan. They are open 8-8 seven days a week There is no charge. If you go into the building, you can ask for someone to come and take you on a tour and tell you about the different grasses and their water use. All of their plants are labelled really well, so take your camera because the labels will show up very readable.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My petunias are horribly sticky - I assume thrips are in control although I have tried to keep them washed off (insecticidal soap) and sprayed with a systemic (orthonex). Is there anything else I might try? Would a dormant oil spray work, and if so when would I use it? Also, there are small worms that are probably chomping the blossoms. What would work to prevent or kill them? How do worms can get into my flower boxes, that are at least 6 feet off the ground?
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.