Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are putting in a backyard with grass seed instead of sod. I am wondering if we need to add lime to our soil to change the pH and also what types of grass work best in our area. I assume that Kentucky Bluegrass would be best, but should I get a mix or just the Bluegrass? Are certain brands better than others?
Rate This FAQ
Utah soils are already very alkaline. Adding lime would make it more alkaline, so don't do that. Make sure that you get rid of all your perennial weeds like bindweed (morning glory), and weed grasses (quack grass) before you seed. A Kentucky Bluegrass blend is an excellent choice, especially if it will have much traffic (football games, tag, soccer, etc).
If you want to see what some of the different grass varieties look like, go up to the Jordan Water Conservancy District at 8215 So. 1300 W in West Jordan. They are open 8-8 seven days a week There is no charge. If you go into the building, you can ask for someone to come and take you on a tour and tell you about the different grasses and their water use. All of their plants are labelled really well, so take your camera because the labels will show up very readable.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- How do I get rid of the Quaking Aspen suckers that are coming up in my lawn without hurting the trees or the grass?
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?