Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
Rate This FAQ
As the weather cools down your lawn will need much less water. The recommendation for watering is to run your irrigation system for as long as needed to apply the amount of water needed.
For example: If you run your irrigation system for 25 minutes and in that time it puts out 0.5” of water then for August through the first of September you would need to water every two days.
If you are not sure how much water your irrigation system puts out below is a link that can help you calculate that.
Some general watering guidelines are:
1. Irrigate in early morning when temperatures are cool and the wind is not blowing to prevent evaporation losses.
2. Avoid irrigating between 10 AM and 6 PM to minimize evaporation.
3. Check your irrigation system monthly for leaks and damaged or clogged sprinkler heads.
4. Mow at 3 inches to improve heat and drought tolerance of the grasses.
5. Aerate your lawn to improve water infiltration and reduce compaction and thatch.
I have also included a link below that gives a lot of information on lawn care, including watering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- I recently (spring 2009) planted a globe willow in Herriman, altitude 5300. I was told by an arborist that it should be okay as there are other successful globes in the foothills of the Quirrahs. It has now got leaves (May 2009) but they are getting yellow towards the mid to top and I suspect iron chlorosis. This is yellow, not the beautiful light green as usual.It gets good water and sun. It was planted with mixture of native clay, potting/planting soil and mulch including "mike" a good microorganism suggested for good plant rooting. Should I give it a dose of iron or let it be? Or us this normal? Help!
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?