Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
Rate This FAQ
As the weather cools down your lawn will need much less water. The recommendation for watering is to run your irrigation system for as long as needed to apply the amount of water needed.
For example: If you run your irrigation system for 25 minutes and in that time it puts out 0.5” of water then for August through the first of September you would need to water every two days.
If you are not sure how much water your irrigation system puts out below is a link that can help you calculate that.
Some general watering guidelines are:
1. Irrigate in early morning when temperatures are cool and the wind is not blowing to prevent evaporation losses.
2. Avoid irrigating between 10 AM and 6 PM to minimize evaporation.
3. Check your irrigation system monthly for leaks and damaged or clogged sprinkler heads.
4. Mow at 3 inches to improve heat and drought tolerance of the grasses.
5. Aerate your lawn to improve water infiltration and reduce compaction and thatch.
I have also included a link below that gives a lot of information on lawn care, including watering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?