Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
Rate This FAQ
As the weather cools down your lawn will need much less water. The recommendation for watering is to run your irrigation system for as long as needed to apply the amount of water needed.
For example: If you run your irrigation system for 25 minutes and in that time it puts out 0.5” of water then for August through the first of September you would need to water every two days.
If you are not sure how much water your irrigation system puts out below is a link that can help you calculate that.
Some general watering guidelines are:
1. Irrigate in early morning when temperatures are cool and the wind is not blowing to prevent evaporation losses.
2. Avoid irrigating between 10 AM and 6 PM to minimize evaporation.
3. Check your irrigation system monthly for leaks and damaged or clogged sprinkler heads.
4. Mow at 3 inches to improve heat and drought tolerance of the grasses.
5. Aerate your lawn to improve water infiltration and reduce compaction and thatch.
I have also included a link below that gives a lot of information on lawn care, including watering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I discovered on my peach tree there is a white larvae that has burrowed into the base of the trunk and a sticky peach colored substance is there. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but I only have about five peaches that made it this year. This is the third year for this tree, and when it was only a year oldit produced 35 peaches. Also, there are these black bugs with red heads on the tree that I have never seen before. HELP! I really want to save this tree!
- I have some fruit trees in a lawn area that I have been fertilizing with ammonium sulfate, but needed to change to a weed & feed. Is the fruit still safe to eat?
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.