Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
Rate This FAQ
As the weather cools down your lawn will need much less water. The recommendation for watering is to run your irrigation system for as long as needed to apply the amount of water needed.
For example: If you run your irrigation system for 25 minutes and in that time it puts out 0.5” of water then for August through the first of September you would need to water every two days.
If you are not sure how much water your irrigation system puts out below is a link that can help you calculate that.
Some general watering guidelines are:
1. Irrigate in early morning when temperatures are cool and the wind is not blowing to prevent evaporation losses.
2. Avoid irrigating between 10 AM and 6 PM to minimize evaporation.
3. Check your irrigation system monthly for leaks and damaged or clogged sprinkler heads.
4. Mow at 3 inches to improve heat and drought tolerance of the grasses.
5. Aerate your lawn to improve water infiltration and reduce compaction and thatch.
I have also included a link below that gives a lot of information on lawn care, including watering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- Some of the bottom leafs on my tomato plants have turned brown and are dying. I have lost one plant and it looks like another may go soon. I am watering three to four times per week and I have been putting a liquid fertilizer on the plants about once a week. Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- Hi, I just recently bought a house in Taylorsville in a older neighborhood. I have noticed some clover that is sort of a deep purplish color coming up all through my yard. What is it and how can I get rid of it?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- Are there master gardeners in the Millcreek Township area?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?