Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
Rate This FAQ
As the weather cools down your lawn will need much less water. The recommendation for watering is to run your irrigation system for as long as needed to apply the amount of water needed.
For example: If you run your irrigation system for 25 minutes and in that time it puts out 0.5” of water then for August through the first of September you would need to water every two days.
If you are not sure how much water your irrigation system puts out below is a link that can help you calculate that.
Some general watering guidelines are:
1. Irrigate in early morning when temperatures are cool and the wind is not blowing to prevent evaporation losses.
2. Avoid irrigating between 10 AM and 6 PM to minimize evaporation.
3. Check your irrigation system monthly for leaks and damaged or clogged sprinkler heads.
4. Mow at 3 inches to improve heat and drought tolerance of the grasses.
5. Aerate your lawn to improve water infiltration and reduce compaction and thatch.
I have also included a link below that gives a lot of information on lawn care, including watering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- My petunias are horribly sticky - I assume thrips are in control although I have tried to keep them washed off (insecticidal soap) and sprayed with a systemic (orthonex). Is there anything else I might try? Would a dormant oil spray work, and if so when would I use it? Also, there are small worms that are probably chomping the blossoms. What would work to prevent or kill them? How do worms can get into my flower boxes, that are at least 6 feet off the ground?
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- I have some cucumbers I bought from the nursery in a small container about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted them to a larger container. I move them in the garage at night and back out to the driveway during the day. The leaves and stems are turning light green and have dry white places on them. Are they getting sun scalded, am I watering them too much, not enough fertilizer?
- I am preparing to sod my front yard in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a grass that is hardy, drought and weed resistant. I also have a dog that can be somewhat hard on grass. I looked into Zoysia grass, but determined it wasn't a really great grass for this climate. What would you suggest, and where might I find it in Northern Utah?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?