Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
Rate This FAQ
The extension agent has asked me to reply to your email question. I can see that is has been a couple of weeks since you submitted this question. I apologize for the delay.
There are several reasons why strawberry plants can turn yellow or pale green. One of the most common problems is nutrient deficiencies due to overwatering. The browning on the edges of the leaves sounds like summer leaf scorch which can also be caused by overwatering. Overwatering causes poor root growth and this makes it difficult for plants to move enough water to the leaves during hot weather.
These are just some of the possibilities for your strawberry plant problems. Without more information from you, I can only guess what is wrong. I suggest you call our office and we can talk to you about your watering and fertilizer routine and get a better idea of what's going on.
Utah County Extension
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- How can I control earwigs in my home and garden?
- Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- I planted a Chanticleer pear tree about two weeks ago (mid June) in Perry. I watered it everyday for about 5-6 days and have since cut back to 1-2 times per week. Many of the leaves are very dry and crumble when squeezed. Have I been over watering or under watering my tree? How often should I water it or is it already too late for my tree?