Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
Rate This FAQ
There are several clump grasses that can be "weeds" in lawns. Tall fescue is a perennial clumping bunch grass with wide blades, dark green shiny leaves and a link to images of tall fescue http://www.invasive.org/search/action.cfm?q=tall%20fescue . Crab grass is an annual plant that has a shallow fibrous root system with a seed head with 3 to 4 finger-like spikes.
Johnson grass - here is link to selected images of Johnson grass http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3075
So perhaps from these pictures you can determine what you have in your lawn. Or you can come by our office with a fresh sample for identification. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic to help folks identify their plant problems and provide management recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I put in my entire yard in Fruit Heights in late July. I noticed my maple trees are losing leaves, and showing signs of distress. I put sod up to the tree trunks, but I'm wondering if I should cut the sod back, and put mulch in so the tree roots can breath. Good idea? I cut back on the watering as well, which could have been a problem for drainage. Any help?
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?