Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
Rate This FAQ
There are several clump grasses that can be "weeds" in lawns. Tall fescue is a perennial clumping bunch grass with wide blades, dark green shiny leaves and a link to images of tall fescue http://www.invasive.org/search/action.cfm?q=tall%20fescue . Crab grass is an annual plant that has a shallow fibrous root system with a seed head with 3 to 4 finger-like spikes.
Johnson grass - here is link to selected images of Johnson grass http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3075
So perhaps from these pictures you can determine what you have in your lawn. Or you can come by our office with a fresh sample for identification. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic to help folks identify their plant problems and provide management recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- I have been told by a tree care company that my ash trees are infected with bores. They can be treated, and the trees should survive. Though my internet research I found ample information on emerald ash bore, however, that the research was largely on trees in Michigan. Would I have emerald ash bores, or do another type of bore exist in Utah? The tree care company suggested treatment in the spring, and another in the summer. Does that sound appropriate?
- I am considering a weeping willow for my back yard. I have not heard good things about them being planted in Salt Lake. What is your opinion, and would I be better going with a different species or will a willow be fine?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.
- Please Help, my blue lake pole beans are not producing like they should, the blossoms are not sticking and those that do have matured into flat stringing beans or Big hard ones with white fuzz around the middle of the seed inside please help me I need my beans.