Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
Rate This FAQ
There are several clump grasses that can be "weeds" in lawns. Tall fescue is a perennial clumping bunch grass with wide blades, dark green shiny leaves and a link to images of tall fescue http://www.invasive.org/search/action.cfm?q=tall%20fescue . Crab grass is an annual plant that has a shallow fibrous root system with a seed head with 3 to 4 finger-like spikes.
Johnson grass - here is link to selected images of Johnson grass http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3075
So perhaps from these pictures you can determine what you have in your lawn. Or you can come by our office with a fresh sample for identification. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic to help folks identify their plant problems and provide management recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- I am trying to identify a tree that grows all over St. George area. It has a beautiful pink bloom, elongated oval leaf, small- med. height tree. It's been identified to me as a chitolpe tree? It's not an avacado tree.
- My petunias are horribly sticky - I assume thrips are in control although I have tried to keep them washed off (insecticidal soap) and sprayed with a systemic (orthonex). Is there anything else I might try? Would a dormant oil spray work, and if so when would I use it? Also, there are small worms that are probably chomping the blossoms. What would work to prevent or kill them? How do worms can get into my flower boxes, that are at least 6 feet off the ground?
- I just moved to SLC from Phx,Az and many of the plants here are new to me. I have some flowers in my yard that resemble "Blue Dicks" closely but, the flowers do not cluster -- they each form on a single stem and have been flowering since the end of April. I also have some Violet-like flowers growing in my lawn at about the same height as the grass. I would like to know what they might be and where I might be able to purchase seed or bulbs of the same type so I can plant more
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?