Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
Rate This FAQ
There are several clump grasses that can be "weeds" in lawns. Tall fescue is a perennial clumping bunch grass with wide blades, dark green shiny leaves and a link to images of tall fescue http://www.invasive.org/search/action.cfm?q=tall%20fescue . Crab grass is an annual plant that has a shallow fibrous root system with a seed head with 3 to 4 finger-like spikes.
Johnson grass - here is link to selected images of Johnson grass http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3075
So perhaps from these pictures you can determine what you have in your lawn. Or you can come by our office with a fresh sample for identification. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic to help folks identify their plant problems and provide management recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a home in East Millcreek w/out any trees in the front yard. We really like the look of the Sycamore tree (with the mottled bark), but don't know if that is the best choice. Is it possible to get one that doesn't bear fruit (itchy-bombs, as we called it as children)? What other trees would you suggest as a large shade tree? Once we decide on a tree, I was planning on checking with all our neighbors to see if they want to plant the same tree so that 20 years down the road, we have a beautiful street. So, I want to plant something that won't make my neighbors despise me down the road!
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy or how to make a truly sturdy tomato cage? The "standard" metal ones I have bought at garden centers have always tipped over when the plant has gotten big.
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?