Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
Rate This FAQ
There are several clump grasses that can be "weeds" in lawns. Tall fescue is a perennial clumping bunch grass with wide blades, dark green shiny leaves and a link to images of tall fescue http://www.invasive.org/search/action.cfm?q=tall%20fescue . Crab grass is an annual plant that has a shallow fibrous root system with a seed head with 3 to 4 finger-like spikes.
Johnson grass - here is link to selected images of Johnson grass http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=3075
So perhaps from these pictures you can determine what you have in your lawn. Or you can come by our office with a fresh sample for identification. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic to help folks identify their plant problems and provide management recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?
- We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?