Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
Rate This FAQ
When temperatures are high, water is transpired through the plant and the root system is not adequate to supply enough water, better to plant in fall or spring when temperatures are cooler. Water thoroughly at planting time and for a year or two after transplanting until a good root system is established. Water not only should be applied to the planting area, but also to the soil surrounding the hole so roots can grow out. Remember, it is possible to over water a tree, especially in poorly drained soils. Water is not measured in time but in quantity and that depends on your soil texture. Sandy soils the water percolates through quickly while clay soils stay wet longer. So taken many things into consideration for newly planted tree. Basically, every day with the high temperatures should provide enough water, without saturating the soil so that air is still present in the soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently (spring 2009) planted a globe willow in Herriman, altitude 5300. I was told by an arborist that it should be okay as there are other successful globes in the foothills of the Quirrahs. It has now got leaves (May 2009) but they are getting yellow towards the mid to top and I suspect iron chlorosis. This is yellow, not the beautiful light green as usual.It gets good water and sun. It was planted with mixture of native clay, potting/planting soil and mulch including "mike" a good microorganism suggested for good plant rooting. Should I give it a dose of iron or let it be? Or us this normal? Help!
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I just ordered some blueberry bushes and wondered where I need to plant them in my garden.
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?