Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
Rate This FAQ
When temperatures are high, water is transpired through the plant and the root system is not adequate to supply enough water, better to plant in fall or spring when temperatures are cooler. Water thoroughly at planting time and for a year or two after transplanting until a good root system is established. Water not only should be applied to the planting area, but also to the soil surrounding the hole so roots can grow out. Remember, it is possible to over water a tree, especially in poorly drained soils. Water is not measured in time but in quantity and that depends on your soil texture. Sandy soils the water percolates through quickly while clay soils stay wet longer. So taken many things into consideration for newly planted tree. Basically, every day with the high temperatures should provide enough water, without saturating the soil so that air is still present in the soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- There is a pecan tree where I work that is dropping leaves like crazy. Can I add the leaves to my vegetable garden and let it compost over the winter? Is there any toxicity in pecan leaves?