Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
Rate This FAQ
When temperatures are high, water is transpired through the plant and the root system is not adequate to supply enough water, better to plant in fall or spring when temperatures are cooler. Water thoroughly at planting time and for a year or two after transplanting until a good root system is established. Water not only should be applied to the planting area, but also to the soil surrounding the hole so roots can grow out. Remember, it is possible to over water a tree, especially in poorly drained soils. Water is not measured in time but in quantity and that depends on your soil texture. Sandy soils the water percolates through quickly while clay soils stay wet longer. So taken many things into consideration for newly planted tree. Basically, every day with the high temperatures should provide enough water, without saturating the soil so that air is still present in the soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- When moving into our new home I removed two small quaking aspen trees. Even though the main trees are gone there are a good multiple dozen shoots that are coming up all over the lawn. How do I get rid of these for good...hopefully without ripping up my entire yard? Also my neighbors all have these aspen trees and I would like to "treat" the baby shoots coming up on my side of the fence line without damaging their trees. Is that possible?
- I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
- What kind of Strawberry plant do you recommend? I remember Crocket's Victory Garden recommending an ever bearing one for the New England area.
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?