Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
Rate This FAQ
When temperatures are high, water is transpired through the plant and the root system is not adequate to supply enough water, better to plant in fall or spring when temperatures are cooler. Water thoroughly at planting time and for a year or two after transplanting until a good root system is established. Water not only should be applied to the planting area, but also to the soil surrounding the hole so roots can grow out. Remember, it is possible to over water a tree, especially in poorly drained soils. Water is not measured in time but in quantity and that depends on your soil texture. Sandy soils the water percolates through quickly while clay soils stay wet longer. So taken many things into consideration for newly planted tree. Basically, every day with the high temperatures should provide enough water, without saturating the soil so that air is still present in the soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Two years ago I moved into a house that has a large apricot tree in the backyard. Last year was our first apricot harvest. The apricots got large a ripe, and looked great. But when I picked one and tasted it, is was VERY mushy and bland. Upon further investigation, all the fruit was this way. Does this mean that the tree is too old or maybe just a bad tree? I don't want to deal with the hassle of a fruit tree if I can't use the fruit.
- We are putting in sod in our front yard - not a lot of traffic. Would like you opinion on if we should put in Kentucky Blue Grass or a biograss?
- We would like to plant a pasture (about 2 acres). We would like one that creates sod, like a lawn, rather than a bunch grass. It will be used to hold a hillside and eventually to graze a few animals. We could cut it for grass hay also. What would be the best varieties of seed to use for a pasture like this?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- I would like to plant a bunch of trees (hundreds) on a piece of dry farm high on a bench in Petersboro. The soil is clayish and watering is limited to hauling only. Can you recommend a tree or two that would be easy to start and would be fairly maintenance free once established. Any thing that will survive.
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?