Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have many Chanticleer pear's in my yard. Each year they swarm with Wasps during the day. There are not any nests in them. Is there anything I can do or spray to remove them? They have been swarming many of my Quakies as well. I have read online that it could be from aphids on the trees and the Wasps go after the sugary substance the aphids leave behind. I have noticed on my Quakies that there are small holes on some leaves which might mean aphids, but on the Chanticleer's there are not any holes on the leaves so I don't think aphids would be on those. Please help the wasps are out of control on these trees.
Rate This FAQ
Aphids attack many ornamental trees, like Flowering Pear and Quaking Aspen. They have a piercing, sucking mouth part and “tap” into the leaves to get their food. The sticky substance is called honeydew and is the excrement from the aphids feeding. Ants and wasps are attracted to the honeydew and are often attracted to the sticky leaves. To remedy the problem, a good hard stream of water will typically knock the aphids off the leaves and remove the source of attraction to the other pests. Insecticidal soap may also be used to control aphid outbreaks. These soft bodied insects rarely cause any permanent damage to the trees so pesticides are typically not recommended for control.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?