Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Sandy, Utah area (foothill benches. I am seeing sparse (not dense threads or tent-like)spider webs spanning approx 1-2 inches in the crotches of various limbs on scrub oak (no bugs or spiders are visible, however, did recently see only one yellowish/brown spindly pointed legs/body spider on limb which was about 1/2 - 3/4 inch if legs were spread from end to end). I've never seen spider like it before and can't identify on internet or books. Any thoughts, advice, or place to reference on what and how to treat? Scrub overhangs patio and everyone is paranoid to sit under trees. This is only affecting a few trees near pation, not seen on all scrub oak on property.
Rate This FAQ
Can you describe the webs in greater detail? It would be ideal to
have one of the spiders identify, but if that is not possible don't
worry about it.
Generally speaking I do not like the thought of spiders coming
down on my head either, but I do not think that these spiders will
cause you any harm. There are only 3 spiders of concern in Utah
(the Hobo, black widow, and yellow sac spider),and that doesn't
sound like any of them. You probably already know what a black
widow and a hobo look like... In terms of the yellow sac spider,
what you have described doesn't sound like their usual behavior.
Here is a picture of a yellow sac spider:
When bitten by one of these your body usually reacts the same
as if you were bitten by a mosquito. In severe cases some localized
skin necrosis might ensue. People in Utah are probably most commonly
bitten by these spiders in their home.
If you are actively looking for spiders and can't find any, then
they are likely not a problem. I would consider their webs
a benefit as they may be catching mosquitoes, gnats, etc. If you
want to do something about the webs I would recommend spraying
them out of the tree with a hose. If you do this enough it may
deter the spiders from building webs, and may drive them off
to other trees to inhabit.
Please let me know if you want more information and I will get
back to you ASAP.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- We have a deck that holds a raised hot tub about 3 - 4 feet off the ground (it's on a wood stand). Unfortunatley, bees or wasps (not sure which) have decided to use the insulation underneath the hot tub as their home. Help! I have elementary age kids that are always outside. How do I get rid of them?
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.