Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
Rate This FAQ
Most important for tree success if proper planting. Were these plants in containers/pots and if so I hope the plants were taken out of pots before planting? Did they have circling roots because the roots need to grow out and spread for tree to get established? When you planted how wide did you dig the hole to encourage roots to spread? Proper planting will help plants do well.
Since these are native plants and are adapted to our soils, they don't need fertilizers. The best thing is for good root establishment and with proper watering the trees should grow well. Here is a USU Publication on Gambel Oak Care (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
- A friend has recommended an Epsom salt solution for my garden plants. How are Epsom salts used here? I know they add mag to the soil if it is depleted but I didn't think they were used in alkaline soils... do they have any benefits? Will they help me grow blueberries etc., stuff that needs acidic soil? Research says that Epsom doesn't change the ph much but I know sulfur is good.
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I have a small strip (about 1-1 1/2 feet) in front of my brick house that needs to be separated from my front lawn. I would like to put bricks or something to keep the grass from coming through. What would you suggest to use to separate the two areas? What would you suggest to plant?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?