Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
Rate This FAQ
Most important for tree success if proper planting. Were these plants in containers/pots and if so I hope the plants were taken out of pots before planting? Did they have circling roots because the roots need to grow out and spread for tree to get established? When you planted how wide did you dig the hole to encourage roots to spread? Proper planting will help plants do well.
Since these are native plants and are adapted to our soils, they don't need fertilizers. The best thing is for good root establishment and with proper watering the trees should grow well. Here is a USU Publication on Gambel Oak Care (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I love to golf. One of the reasons I love to golf is that I love the serenity of a golf course and especially the beautiful mature trees of all sorts. The Globe Willow in particular is my favorite because of its shape and size so I decided to purchase one and plant it in my backyard. I have read several articles that talk about these trees being very suceptible to disease and I wondered if it was as much of a problem here in Utah with such cold winters for half the year. I don't want to watch this tree suffer its whole life and end up taking it down. I live in the Cottonwood Heights area. Can you help with any advice?
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- I have a healthy looking aspen tree whose leaves turn brown and fall off in early September without ever turning colors. I live in Midway and Aspens do well here. Do you know the cause and can it be corrected?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?