Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- I have an indoor ant problem. They are tiny, reddish, with a long petiole before a heart-shaped abdomen. They especially like grease and meat. Raid has been somewhat effective, but new colonies show up in odd rooms (I am in an upstairs condo). Yesterday a new colony found my leopard gecko, and attacked her. Her toes were targeted especially, but when I found her the wounds didn't seem too bad, but she must have been stung a lot since she went lethargic and died later in the day. Most websites recommend identifying the species before trying to control them but I haven't been successful in finding a good identification guide. From what I can tell, they aren't sugar, carpenter, grease, white-footed, or other common indoor ants. Any suggestions?
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
- We found (we think) a black widow spider in our home last night. It is completely black with a red hour-glass shape on its belly. We are concerned that there may be more of them in our home. I normally am opposed to using chemicals to get rid of spiders or insects, but in this case I think there is a bit of a health risk. I am particularly concerned about the safety of my children whose ages range from 9 months to 5 years. What can I do to get rid of any other black widow spiders that may be in our house, besides trying to keep corners clean, etc.?
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- I recently moved into a house. I noticed what I thought were little black ants didn't bother me I've delt with little black ants before. then I noticed that these little ants didn't have legs that stick out. then I noticed that they weren't ants. once in awhile I would see them when I swept the floor and occationaly I would see one or a few climbing up my wall. but now the really sad thing is they are all over in my Flour, My bags of rice and now i will have to throw it all out. What kind of a bug is it? it is about 1/4 inch long, very thin, and very black. Help me. And what do I need to do to get rid of it?