Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- I have spider mites on my IIiamna rivularis. It looks like I also have spider mites on my Mirabilis jalapa. I don't remember of having any problems with growing Mirabilis jalapa before. They have always been an easy plant for me to raise. I have read the article on spider mites and I am wondering if I should just let them go or buy an insecticide like Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 Insect, Disease and Mite control. The spider mites are taking over my yard.
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- Do spiders eat earwigs?