Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an indoor ant problem. They are tiny, reddish, with a long petiole before a heart-shaped abdomen. They especially like grease and meat. Raid has been somewhat effective, but new colonies show up in odd rooms (I am in an upstairs condo). Yesterday a new colony found my leopard gecko, and attacked her. Her toes were targeted especially, but when I found her the wounds didn't seem too bad, but she must have been stung a lot since she went lethargic and died later in the day. Most websites recommend identifying the species before trying to control them but I haven't been successful in finding a good identification guide. From what I can tell, they aren't sugar, carpenter, grease, white-footed, or other common indoor ants. Any suggestions?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- I found a possible red and blue leaf hopper on a plant in my yard. Some experts I have contacted say we don't have them in the west. Could it be identified by you to species if I catch one and bring it in? I do have a photo of it.
- We planted linden trees this year and wrapped the trunks with white corrugated tubing to prevent sun scald in the winter. In looking at leaf damage on the outside border of the leaves, I noted that there were literally hundreds of small gray/black flying insects clustered under the tree wrap. What might they be and are they responsible for the chewed leaves? What treatment is needed?
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?