Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- Do you know of any pest control companies that have an effective treatment for controlling box elder bugs in the fall before they get in the house?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- I have tons of ants outside my house. When I am weeding I run into them. I have put down some diazion and they are still there always in the same spots. Is there anything I can use outside to get rid of them permentaly. If I don't keep the diazion granules in my cracks in my garage they are always there to. I just want them gone.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?