Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- Do spiders eat earwigs?
- I've lived in Spanish Fork all my life and have never seen a beetle like this before...and they're suddenly all over our yard! The adults are about 1/3" long. They are either yellow-green or blue-green on their backs, with a small band of light tan (almost white) all the way around the outside edge. They don't fly. We find them usually running across the driveway and I've found a few in the flower gardens as I'm weeding.