Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
Rate This FAQ
Please read over our scorpion factsheet (http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/ENT-68-08.pdf) and let me know if you need more information. If you want the exact species of scorpion identified, you can send it into the lab:
Department of Biology
5305 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
attn: Ryan Davis
Scorpions like to come out at night. My guess is that when it ended up on the patio it was running toward your shadows for protection from the sun, not to sting you. A lot of things in the bug world react like this, and it is usually mistaken for aggression. Please email me if you need further help.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you know of any pest control companies that have an effective treatment for controlling box elder bugs in the fall before they get in the house?
- We have a deck that holds a raised hot tub about 3 - 4 feet off the ground (it's on a wood stand). Unfortunatley, bees or wasps (not sure which) have decided to use the insulation underneath the hot tub as their home. Help! I have elementary age kids that are always outside. How do I get rid of them?
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?