Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a flame amur maple approx 5 feet high and has been planted since spring of '07. It has turned a very pale yellow color and has several branches where the leaves look like they have been burned. It is getting sufficient water. I've noticed that other flame maples stay green and I have read that it should. I don't know what is wrong with it. Help. It also did this last summer. I have applied some iron and it did green it up a little more but not much.
Rate This FAQ
Amur Maples are very prone to iron chlorosis. This is a deficiency of iron within the plant and usually appears in the new growth each year in susceptible plants. It is typically due to the high pH (alkalinity) of our Utah soils. For specific recommendations on how to remedy this problem I am attaching a link to a USU Fact Sheet http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/AG-SO-01.pdf. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- I have some cucumbers I bought from the nursery in a small container about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted them to a larger container. I move them in the garage at night and back out to the driveway during the day. The leaves and stems are turning light green and have dry white places on them. Are they getting sun scalded, am I watering them too much, not enough fertilizer?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?
- We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.