Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
Rate This FAQ
It's difficult to diagnose the problem with your cherry tree and the wormy insects may or may not have anything to do with the leaves yellowing and falling off. As far as treating, first have to make a proper diagnosis. We will have Master Gardeners on Monday August 25 from 1 pm to 4pm at 2001 South State Rm S1008 hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic who may be able to identify the insects if you bring in a fresh sample. Also further questioning by Master Gardeners about other conditions may help figure out what the problem is.
If you can't make the clinic, you can send sample directly to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory. Follow this link http://utahpests.usu.edu/uppdl/htm/forms to find out more information on submitting samples for proper diagnosis.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- We have creeping mountain sorrel in our lawn and can't get rid of it. Do you have any recommendations on products that might kill it, or any other ways to get rid of it?
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- This year a majority of our tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom. Some of them as soon as they are ripe they have mold growing on them. Are these safe to eat an can or what do I need to do. We have about 8 or 9 plants. They are not producing that well. It seems to be on all of are tomatoes except for the grape. What can we do to get this problem taken care of?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?