Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure why your raised bed is having problems. Vegetables prefer to grow in full sun. Raised beds are hotter than others because they absorb the sun through the sides as well as through the top of the soil. If the sides of your raised bed are made of dark material, or are covered with black plaastic, it would absorb the heat and make it dry out quicker. If it is made entirely of artificial soil (peatmoss, vermiculite, perlite etc), then you would have good drainage, maybe a little too good. If the water is running through so much that you have to water daily, it is also leaching out the nutrients which you have added. You could try mulching the grow box to slow down evaporation and keep it a little cooler.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I have many Chanticleer pear's in my yard. Each year they swarm with Wasps during the day. There are not any nests in them. Is there anything I can do or spray to remove them? They have been swarming many of my Quakies as well. I have read online that it could be from aphids on the trees and the Wasps go after the sugary substance the aphids leave behind. I have noticed on my Quakies that there are small holes on some leaves which might mean aphids, but on the Chanticleer's there are not any holes on the leaves so I don't think aphids would be on those. Please help the wasps are out of control on these trees.
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- Now that the snow has melted off our lawn, we notice there are winding "trails" through the grass. One of the trails goes from a patch of vince major ground cover, across the grass to another patch of vinca major ground cover. It looks like something has pushed up the black plastic lawn edging enough to crawl underneath. There is no soil excavation on top of the lawn; only tunnels through the grass. We've never had moles or voles before that I know of so I don't know what habits they have. Do you think it could be a mouse or maybe a mole or vole? What's the best way to get ride of it?
- My husband plants tomato and peppers etc each year. He plants directly under the eves of the house and the water runs off the roof with each rain storm or in the spring run off. I believe this is not good for the soil he is planting the garden in since we have an asphalt roof and I can see the debris from the roof on the soil. He says not a problem, I still have a hard time eating them without thinking I am getting some sort of poison in our systems. Suggestions?
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?