Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure why your raised bed is having problems. Vegetables prefer to grow in full sun. Raised beds are hotter than others because they absorb the sun through the sides as well as through the top of the soil. If the sides of your raised bed are made of dark material, or are covered with black plaastic, it would absorb the heat and make it dry out quicker. If it is made entirely of artificial soil (peatmoss, vermiculite, perlite etc), then you would have good drainage, maybe a little too good. If the water is running through so much that you have to water daily, it is also leaching out the nutrients which you have added. You could try mulching the grow box to slow down evaporation and keep it a little cooler.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- Are there master gardeners in the Millcreek Township area?
- We live in a suburb near the mountains and have a lot of deer wandering through our neighborhood eating our flowers and vegetable gardens. They are not afraid of people and walk through our backyard any time of day. What can we spray on the garden plants to stop them from eating them?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?