Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure why your raised bed is having problems. Vegetables prefer to grow in full sun. Raised beds are hotter than others because they absorb the sun through the sides as well as through the top of the soil. If the sides of your raised bed are made of dark material, or are covered with black plaastic, it would absorb the heat and make it dry out quicker. If it is made entirely of artificial soil (peatmoss, vermiculite, perlite etc), then you would have good drainage, maybe a little too good. If the water is running through so much that you have to water daily, it is also leaching out the nutrients which you have added. You could try mulching the grow box to slow down evaporation and keep it a little cooler.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- Please Help, my blue lake pole beans are not producing like they should, the blossoms are not sticking and those that do have matured into flat stringing beans or Big hard ones with white fuzz around the middle of the seed inside please help me I need my beans.
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.