Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure why your raised bed is having problems. Vegetables prefer to grow in full sun. Raised beds are hotter than others because they absorb the sun through the sides as well as through the top of the soil. If the sides of your raised bed are made of dark material, or are covered with black plaastic, it would absorb the heat and make it dry out quicker. If it is made entirely of artificial soil (peatmoss, vermiculite, perlite etc), then you would have good drainage, maybe a little too good. If the water is running through so much that you have to water daily, it is also leaching out the nutrients which you have added. You could try mulching the grow box to slow down evaporation and keep it a little cooler.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- I want to plant raspberries in my garden next spring but am confused. Which does better in Cache Valley: summer- or fall-bearing? The USU pub on raspberry production (HG/2004-16) says plant only Haida or Malling Joy, but I haven't found anything about these species on the web. Is this statement still valid? If so, are they fall- or summer-bearing? If not, what is your species suggestion?
- I have small white worms in my turnips and radishes. How do I deal with this problem?
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I have 2 red tipped photinas in my front yard against the house (south facing). They were great for the first 3 years, but now, for the last 2 winters the leaves have dried out and dropped in the spring. I thought it was a lack of water over the winter, so I tried to help out, but that didnt help. Should I prune them back in the fall or is there anything I can do to help them so this doesn't happen next winter?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I have a large, old walnut tree in my front yard. The bark on the east/northeast side of the tree is separating from the trunk. Is this a sign of disease or other problems? And can I peel the bark off the tree or will that hurt the tree?