Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure why your raised bed is having problems. Vegetables prefer to grow in full sun. Raised beds are hotter than others because they absorb the sun through the sides as well as through the top of the soil. If the sides of your raised bed are made of dark material, or are covered with black plaastic, it would absorb the heat and make it dry out quicker. If it is made entirely of artificial soil (peatmoss, vermiculite, perlite etc), then you would have good drainage, maybe a little too good. If the water is running through so much that you have to water daily, it is also leaching out the nutrients which you have added. You could try mulching the grow box to slow down evaporation and keep it a little cooler.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- We have about 6 pine trees (blue spruce) in our yard and we have noticed that this year they are loaded with pine cones. Does this mean anything? We have looked on the farmers almanac thinking that it must mean we are in for a hard winter, or something in that nature, but have been unsuccessful in finding the answer. Do you have any information why the trees are loaded with pine cones?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?