Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Bloomington Just south of Saint George, Utah. About a week ago I noticed hundreds of little greenish/yellowish flying bugs. Like I said they have been here about a week and they are not going away. I have lived in the area for about six years now and have never seen them before. Do you have any idea what they are and how I can control them? Regards Randy
Rate This FAQ
From you description, it sounds like you are describing the Tamarisk Beetle. This insect has been released in our area and encouraged, in an effort to control the Tamarisk (as a biological control). You are probably familiar with Tamarisk. It is a non-native tree that has taken over a lot of our “Riparian” areas near stream banks, etc. It takes a lot of our water from these areas and clutters the stream banks. They have also been responsible for wildfires in the county.
I do not suggest controlling them, but rather let them eat the tamarisk leaves. They have not been shown in 10 years of trials, which have been conducted, to feed on any species other than Tamarisk.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What should you use to kill Box Elder bugs?
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- I am interested in beekeeping, and am currently reading several books on the subject. All of the books have said, "contact your local extension office to find out about apiary organizations and to register your hives." I've looked all over your site and can't find anything on this subject for Washington County. Where can I find information on apiary organizations in this area?
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- I live at the edge of a neighborhood bordering the mountains in North Ogden. The last week we have seen hundreds and hundreds of little beetle-like bugs that have six legs, two antennas and a green/black body with a bright orange border. It appears the adult version of the beetle is about 1/4 inch long and fairly round. I'm wondering what this bug is and what damage it can/will do. I have close-up photos that I'd be more than happy to provide. Can you please help me identify this pest?
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.