Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?