Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A landscaping company planted 6 jaquemonti birch in my yard at the end of May. Two of them recently began developing darkish brown leaf spots in the center. They are getting plenty of water. On one of the leaves I found very tiny black insects. I did not find insects on any of the other leaves. What could the problem be and what should I do about it. I picked the infected leaves off that I could reach. I also collected the insects.
- I have several large beds in which I would like to plant shrubs, perennials, and some annuals. I am wondering what, if any, weed barrier I should use for these beds. I have heard different opinions advocating weed fabric, newspaper, or no weed barrier at all other than a layer of bark/mulch. If a thick layer of mulch alone is virtually as effective as weed barrier, I would rather avoid the expense and hassle of laying the barrier. Which is the best option?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- We have about 6 pine trees (blue spruce) in our yard and we have noticed that this year they are loaded with pine cones. Does this mean anything? We have looked on the farmers almanac thinking that it must mean we are in for a hard winter, or something in that nature, but have been unsuccessful in finding the answer. Do you have any information why the trees are loaded with pine cones?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?