Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- My zucchini plant has white spots in the leaves of the plant. New leaves are green but mature with the white spots. There is no powder residue or other obvious sign of fungus. No other plant in the garden has this appearance. What is the problem?
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?