Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- I love to golf. One of the reasons I love to golf is that I love the serenity of a golf course and especially the beautiful mature trees of all sorts. The Globe Willow in particular is my favorite because of its shape and size so I decided to purchase one and plant it in my backyard. I have read several articles that talk about these trees being very suceptible to disease and I wondered if it was as much of a problem here in Utah with such cold winters for half the year. I don't want to watch this tree suffer its whole life and end up taking it down. I live in the Cottonwood Heights area. Can you help with any advice?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- How close together can flowering pear trees be planted?
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?