Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a peach tree with lots of little branches that look burnt at the ends. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but the ends of the branches keep turning black and dying.
- I planted my vines mid may before the endless rains. Now many leaves are turning black in spots. Will this correct itself as things dry out and warm up?
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- I have a red photina thats leaves, in part of the bush, seemed like they were burnt. Is it a disease that these bushes can get? If I cut it back all the way, will all of the bush come out of it or should I get rid of the bush? The photina next to it is just fine.
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.