Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently had a handyman come to adjust the sprinklers at a house we do not live in and are trying to sell, and he unfortunately turned off the sprinklers without us knowing, and the grass went a few weeks without being watered. Since we discovered it, we began watering and I laid down turf builder to see if I could jump start the regrowth. The grass looks brown and dead over much of the lawn, however, since I fertilized, I can see little green spots and individual green shafts here and there. What should I do now? Can I seed over the existing dead lawn? What is the fastest and best way back to green without tearing up the whole yard and starting again? (The backyard sod was new last year)
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- A landscaping company planted 6 jaquemonti birch in my yard at the end of May. Two of them recently began developing darkish brown leaf spots in the center. They are getting plenty of water. On one of the leaves I found very tiny black insects. I did not find insects on any of the other leaves. What could the problem be and what should I do about it. I picked the infected leaves off that I could reach. I also collected the insects.
- I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?