Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
Rate This FAQ
Don't try to grow the aspen from seed -- possible but tough. You could collect acorns this fall, plant them in a garden bed in the fall (about an inch or two deep; mark where they are); then transpplant them next spring when they come up. To get viable acorns, remove the caps and float them; plant those that sink; avoid acorns with small weevil holes in them. Water to keep the seeds or new seedlings moist; don't let them dry out.
If you have oak or aspen sprouts you can dig up and move that could work; either do it in early fall or next spring. Dig around a good, healthy sprout & move a gallon- or two-sized clump of soil and roots. Heal it in well in a hole in the new location.
Do not try to do any of this in the summer with leaves on.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- Two years ago I moved into a house that has a large apricot tree in the backyard. Last year was our first apricot harvest. The apricots got large a ripe, and looked great. But when I picked one and tasted it, is was VERY mushy and bland. Upon further investigation, all the fruit was this way. Does this mean that the tree is too old or maybe just a bad tree? I don't want to deal with the hassle of a fruit tree if I can't use the fruit.
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- I live in Mapleton. I have been reading about the James Pecan Tree, which is supposed to mature by September 1st and be okay in zone 5. What do you think about my trying to grow it here? How do they do?