Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My petunias are horribly sticky - I assume thrips are in control although I have tried to keep them washed off (insecticidal soap) and sprayed with a systemic (orthonex). Is there anything else I might try? Would a dormant oil spray work, and if so when would I use it? Also, there are small worms that are probably chomping the blossoms. What would work to prevent or kill them? How do worms can get into my flower boxes, that are at least 6 feet off the ground?
Rate This FAQ
Petunias exude a naturally sticky substance through their stems that also spread to the flowers. Although no one knows for sure why this phenomenon occurs only in petunias, many botanists believe it is a defense mechanism to trap sucking insects such as aphids and thrips. Many gardeners find the sticky substance to be a nuisance and therefore do not grow petunias for this reason. Breeders are working on new hybrid varieties that will not have this "problem". But if this is indeed a natural process to ward of insects, the new hybrids may result in more a more sticky problem.
As for worms - if you are having leaves that are eaten, it could be budworm, which is a caterpillar of a moth and Bt, Bacillus thuringiensis is effective on controlling caterpillars.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- I live in riverton and want to plant triple crown blackberries and dwarf northblue blueberries. Do you have any suggestions or help?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I had to cut down a large Globe Willow tree in my back yard as it was growing into the power line. I have heard that it is dangerous to burn the wood from a Globe Willow in a fireplace as it emits toxic fumes. Is this true?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?