Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
Rate This FAQ
Most turf will grow in a south facing location if given the proper maintenance. For high traffic I recommend Kentucky bluegrass or a tall fescue. The bluegrass requires a little more care (water, fertilizer, aeration, etc) but it mends quickly and holds up to most yard traffic. Tall fescue is a more durable grass but mends slowly, it is a clump style grass, and is courser.
For proper maintenance see the following fact sheet. http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_517.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- I discovered on my peach tree there is a white larvae that has burrowed into the base of the trunk and a sticky peach colored substance is there. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but I only have about five peaches that made it this year. This is the third year for this tree, and when it was only a year oldit produced 35 peaches. Also, there are these black bugs with red heads on the tree that I have never seen before. HELP! I really want to save this tree!
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- In the past you've offered a lawn-problem analysis --- as I recall a sample was brought in to your office and a quick analysis was done --- is the program still active? What is the schedule?