Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
Rate This FAQ
There are a lot of beetles (make up 40% of all described insect species), so it is best to get a proper identification of the beetles to know what effect they will have on your new lawn. If you can bring a few beetles into our office to identify, we can give the proper recommendation for managing the beetle. Remember that the majority of insects in our garden are beneficial, and a small minority are truly pest problems. Please bring in a sample and we can try to identify and if we aren't able to, we can send the sample up to Logan and the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory and for a small fee ($5) they can identify and send you recommendations.
Our offices are located at 2001 South State, Rm #S1200, Salt Lake City, UT. Directions to our office can be found on our website at http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/directions , we also hold Ask A Master Gardener clinics on Mondays from 1 to 4pm where we have both staff and Master Gardeners ready to answer your plant problem questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just ordered some blueberry bushes and wondered where I need to plant them in my garden.
- I live out on the western edge of South Jordan. The home I just bought has very sandy/rocky soil. The lawn is an inch to inch and one half depth. I have decided to add at least four inches of topsoil to my back yard this fall and re-seed. The front yard is still worth saving. I have three questions. What is the best Ph level for my soil in this area and what type of seed will work best in high sun location such as the one I live in and last should I consider some type of organic treatment to my front yard to strengthen it and promote growth?
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?
- Is there another alternative to getting rid of ferry ring in a lawn than by removing the soil?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?