Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
Rate This FAQ
There are a lot of beetles (make up 40% of all described insect species), so it is best to get a proper identification of the beetles to know what effect they will have on your new lawn. If you can bring a few beetles into our office to identify, we can give the proper recommendation for managing the beetle. Remember that the majority of insects in our garden are beneficial, and a small minority are truly pest problems. Please bring in a sample and we can try to identify and if we aren't able to, we can send the sample up to Logan and the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratory and for a small fee ($5) they can identify and send you recommendations.
Our offices are located at 2001 South State, Rm #S1200, Salt Lake City, UT. Directions to our office can be found on our website at http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/directions , we also hold Ask A Master Gardener clinics on Mondays from 1 to 4pm where we have both staff and Master Gardeners ready to answer your plant problem questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- I live out on the western edge of South Jordan. The home I just bought has very sandy/rocky soil. The lawn is an inch to inch and one half depth. I have decided to add at least four inches of topsoil to my back yard this fall and re-seed. The front yard is still worth saving. I have three questions. What is the best Ph level for my soil in this area and what type of seed will work best in high sun location such as the one I live in and last should I consider some type of organic treatment to my front yard to strengthen it and promote growth?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?