Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
Rate This FAQ
Tomato plants keep growing for a variety of reasons. 1) variety Daterminate type tomatoes are smaller and are bushy, while indeterminate keep growing and get much larger. And within the indeterminate varieties, some grow much larger than others 2) Nitrogen fertilizer makes the tomato plant grow lots of green, but it will produce fewer tomatoes.
Make sure you keep nitrogen fertilizer away and you can prune back some of the growth without injuring the plant.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?