Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
Rate This FAQ
Tomato plants keep growing for a variety of reasons. 1) variety Daterminate type tomatoes are smaller and are bushy, while indeterminate keep growing and get much larger. And within the indeterminate varieties, some grow much larger than others 2) Nitrogen fertilizer makes the tomato plant grow lots of green, but it will produce fewer tomatoes.
Make sure you keep nitrogen fertilizer away and you can prune back some of the growth without injuring the plant.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.