Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
Rate This FAQ
Lilacs are spring flowering shrubs and the best time to prune spring flowering shrubs is after bloom, late spring early summer is best to establish new wood for next spring blooms. Lilacs generally produce more blooms on healthy, newer growth, rather than on older stems.
Here is a link to a 5 minute video with general tips for pruning shrubs from Utah State University Extension "How to Prune Shrubs" click on the following link or cut and paste into your web browser http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=3470
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- Something is eating my garden. HELP! At first I thought it was snails because there were quite a few holes in the leaves of my beans and squash. Now, there are just skeleton leaves left of half my garden. I have treated for snails with PAX and for other insects with Seven. I have looked for squash bugs but to no avail. I have seen a great many ants and earwigs. Oh, and my tomatoes seem fine. Any tips?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.