Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
Rate This FAQ
Lilacs are spring flowering shrubs and the best time to prune spring flowering shrubs is after bloom, late spring early summer is best to establish new wood for next spring blooms. Lilacs generally produce more blooms on healthy, newer growth, rather than on older stems.
Here is a link to a 5 minute video with general tips for pruning shrubs from Utah State University Extension "How to Prune Shrubs" click on the following link or cut and paste into your web browser http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=3470
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have red raspberries that produced very well this year. But now the old canes have turned yellow, brown and crispy. Is this normal or do I have a virus in them? Do I prune out old canes now or in the spring? And can I transplant starts to a new patch or should I buy new plants?
- I have a young (~3 year old) brown turkey fig. I planted it last fall and it survived! the winter. It is producing small figs now but the leaves have a brownish gray powdery looking substance on them. It doesn't rub off but looks like powdery spots. Any clue what it might be or what I should do? The leaves remain green and look healthy. This appeared after the recent heavy rains.
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- I have an apricot tree in my backyard that is loaded with apricots. We have not sprayed the tree with anything, but I would like to use what I can of the fruit that is not 'buggy'. The apricots have red/brown spots on the skin, my research tells me it might be a fungus. Would the fruit be safe to eat if it was cooked and then canned? Also, I would like to transplant some of my fathers raspberry bushes, when is the best time to do that?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- i bought my house in november it had no grass just a huge goat head problem. I have burned, scraped, and sprayed a couple of times. Three weeks ago I planted grass seed, my lawn looks great thick and about 4 inches tall, but now I have goat heads growing all over. Do you think 2-4-D weed killer would work without hurting my lawn or do you have another suggestion?