Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Our neighbors have recently cut down a Globe Willow and A Lombardy Poplar. They did not remove the trunks and the roots are not popping up in our lawn. Is there anyway for us to stop this from happening? These people are not the fastest movers and I have a feeling that the trunks will never be fully removed. These roots have already started to push up our concrete and have left runners down our lawn.
Rate This FAQ
Since those trees are cut down, if you continue to cut down the root suckers by mowing them down in your lawn, pruning and cutting up the larger stems and they will eventually stop producing and the roots will die. This may take longer than you would probably like. If you want to use chemicals (only advisable when parent tree is removed, not a solution or recommendation for controlling root suckers on living trees still in landscape) realize that you need to read instructions and labels carefully, because improper and misuse of herbicide is a common problem, and you may kill other ornamental plants that you didn't want to. You can use glyphosate (round-up and other commercial brands available - look for glyphosate as active ingredient) directly on the root suckers which means protecting the grass and surrounding ornamental plants. This can be done by using a small foam paint brush and applying only to the root suckers.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?