Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Our neighbors have recently cut down a Globe Willow and A Lombardy Poplar. They did not remove the trunks and the roots are not popping up in our lawn. Is there anyway for us to stop this from happening? These people are not the fastest movers and I have a feeling that the trunks will never be fully removed. These roots have already started to push up our concrete and have left runners down our lawn.
Rate This FAQ
Since those trees are cut down, if you continue to cut down the root suckers by mowing them down in your lawn, pruning and cutting up the larger stems and they will eventually stop producing and the roots will die. This may take longer than you would probably like. If you want to use chemicals (only advisable when parent tree is removed, not a solution or recommendation for controlling root suckers on living trees still in landscape) realize that you need to read instructions and labels carefully, because improper and misuse of herbicide is a common problem, and you may kill other ornamental plants that you didn't want to. You can use glyphosate (round-up and other commercial brands available - look for glyphosate as active ingredient) directly on the root suckers which means protecting the grass and surrounding ornamental plants. This can be done by using a small foam paint brush and applying only to the root suckers.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?
- Are there master gardeners in the Millcreek Township area?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?