Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just recently moved into a home that has these terrible "soda straw" type weeds that I can't get rid of. They pop apart and look like tall drinking straws. I have sprayed them with multiple rounds of poison (extra strength!) and dug them out by hand 2 or three times. They are coming back stronger than ever. What should I do?
Rate This FAQ
I think your "soda straw" weeds may be scouring rush. Look it up on google to verify. If it is souring rush, it is VERY difficult to get rid of. It is very waxy and jointed so that the herbicide doesn't penetrate the surface or move to the roots. Two things you can try. 1)cut the plant just below the soil line and put a few drops of concentrated roundup on the cut and 2)cover with black plastic. Leave it there for the entire growing season (you can plant your zucchini etc throuh a little hole cut in the plastic) Good luck! If you have further questions you can call us at 851-8462
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Just moved to where we have a very large backyard. I want to plant a large variety of fruit trees, but I don't know what will grow well in this climate. What types of fruit grow best in the Salt Lake area? (eg peaches, apples, nectarines....?) And which kind of each fruit would you suggest? I'm also new to this, so where should I go to buy the trees and find info on how to grow them correctly?
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- I have a healthy looking aspen tree whose leaves turn brown and fall off in early September without ever turning colors. I live in Midway and Aspens do well here. Do you know the cause and can it be corrected?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?