Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
Rate This FAQ
There are many things planted now that can be harvested before the snow flies. The cool season vegetables usually won't germinate now, it's too hot, but some warm season vegetables would work. Herbs such as basil usually will be ready as well as certain beans such as Strike bush beans (45). Bush pickle cucumbers (45) also would work. I will send you the link to USU publication, with many vegetables varieties and one thing to look for is the number is parenthesis after the variety which indicates days to harvest.
Home Vegetable Garden Variety Recommendations for Utah
For more information on growing fruits and vegetables go to our Salt Lake County Extension website under horticulture
There is a listing of fact sheets on about 60 vegetables that will give you specific information on growing conditions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?