Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
Rate This FAQ
There are many things planted now that can be harvested before the snow flies. The cool season vegetables usually won't germinate now, it's too hot, but some warm season vegetables would work. Herbs such as basil usually will be ready as well as certain beans such as Strike bush beans (45). Bush pickle cucumbers (45) also would work. I will send you the link to USU publication, with many vegetables varieties and one thing to look for is the number is parenthesis after the variety which indicates days to harvest.
Home Vegetable Garden Variety Recommendations for Utah
For more information on growing fruits and vegetables go to our Salt Lake County Extension website under horticulture
There is a listing of fact sheets on about 60 vegetables that will give you specific information on growing conditions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?
- I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?