Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
Rate This FAQ
There are many things planted now that can be harvested before the snow flies. The cool season vegetables usually won't germinate now, it's too hot, but some warm season vegetables would work. Herbs such as basil usually will be ready as well as certain beans such as Strike bush beans (45). Bush pickle cucumbers (45) also would work. I will send you the link to USU publication, with many vegetables varieties and one thing to look for is the number is parenthesis after the variety which indicates days to harvest.
Home Vegetable Garden Variety Recommendations for Utah
For more information on growing fruits and vegetables go to our Salt Lake County Extension website under horticulture
There is a listing of fact sheets on about 60 vegetables that will give you specific information on growing conditions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- Putting more color in your landscape
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- We have planted tomato plants and used “Miracle Grow” the plants are big and healthy and have many blossoms but no tomatoes have as yet began to grow, we have seen different kinds of bees pollinating the blossoms at times. I have never had this happen before can you give us some advice concerning this? Thanks, Lewis Draney
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- How do I prune my raspberries?