Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
Rate This FAQ
The best time to water is early morning. Water scheduling also depends on your specific soils and factors such as amount of shade, amount of mulch on garden that will influence amount of soil moisture retained in soil. Many agencies got together and produced a brochure on proper water of lawns called Residential Watering Guide specific to each county. For Salt Lake County check out this link http://www.conservewater.utah.gov/agency/materials/guide/SaltLake.pdf
If you have any other questions, you can check out our Extension website for Salt Lake County under horticulture (use right hand navigation bar) and link to other USU publications http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- Now that the snow has melted off our lawn, we notice there are winding "trails" through the grass. One of the trails goes from a patch of vince major ground cover, across the grass to another patch of vinca major ground cover. It looks like something has pushed up the black plastic lawn edging enough to crawl underneath. There is no soil excavation on top of the lawn; only tunnels through the grass. We've never had moles or voles before that I know of so I don't know what habits they have. Do you think it could be a mouse or maybe a mole or vole? What's the best way to get ride of it?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?