Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
Rate This FAQ
The best time to water is early morning. Water scheduling also depends on your specific soils and factors such as amount of shade, amount of mulch on garden that will influence amount of soil moisture retained in soil. Many agencies got together and produced a brochure on proper water of lawns called Residential Watering Guide specific to each county. For Salt Lake County check out this link http://www.conservewater.utah.gov/agency/materials/guide/SaltLake.pdf
If you have any other questions, you can check out our Extension website for Salt Lake County under horticulture (use right hand navigation bar) and link to other USU publications http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- I am considering a weeping willow for my back yard. I have not heard good things about them being planted in Salt Lake. What is your opinion, and would I be better going with a different species or will a willow be fine?
- I have a relatively young peach tree which just split down the middle today, I'm assuming due to the weight of the peaches. I have cut off some of the branches and removed some peaches to help lighten the load. I called a nursery and they said in addition to doing that I should bring the branches back together and secure them together in attempt to save the remaining peaches. Then this fall I need to completely remove the partially broken branches. My questions for you are: Is this tree salvageable if I cut off 2/3 of its branches and will the peaches I've taken off ripen under any conditions?
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?