Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
Rate This FAQ
It is possible to eliminate some of the seeds of the puncture vine with a good solarization. Cover the area with a clear plastic in the hot months of July and August for the best results. However, if some of the weed seeds are deep into the soil, below the area effected by the solarization, they may not be killed. Puncture vine is a very poor competitor in reality. The best way to control this weed is to plant the area with a healthy crop, lawn, or ornamental planting. Puncture vine will not grow in shade or compete with other healthy plants. A registered pre-emergent can also be used in non-crop areas.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- I have some shrubs that have been dying off in a wierd manner. Just sections at a time will completly die in a matter of a day or so, not even time to try and treat it. There are no outward signs of bugs and the rest of the shrub will be perfectly healthy. It has done this to more than one of my shrubs and also done this to more than one kind of shrub. It started last summer where I lost part of a couple and one hole shrub. I thought I had it taken care of by the end of the summer but when I mowed last week for the first time I noticed I have almost totaly lost another and there are spots on some others. The plants have been here for as many as 10 years or so and are very well taken care of. The only thing I can think of is about 3 years ago I put new plastic down and new bark, could the new plastic cause this.
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?