Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a deck that holds a raised hot tub about 3 - 4 feet off the ground (it's on a wood stand). Unfortunatley, bees or wasps (not sure which) have decided to use the insulation underneath the hot tub as their home. Help! I have elementary age kids that are always outside. How do I get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I am having the same problem in back yard!! Do
you notice wasps with "dangling" legs flying around the area? Do you see
any of the nests? I am guessing you have paper wasps - they like to
build open nests (you can see the individual cells instead of enclosed
like a hornet nest). To be sure, please read this fact sheet on social
wasps (see attached). To get rid of the wasps, you will need to
treat/take down the nests and treat the adults. There are many liquid
products out there that will kill the adults almost on contact. Many
insecticides are aerosol and can be sprayed quite a distance from the
nest. In your case, the nests will be difficult to locate under a deck.
You can do it yourself, and treating at dawn/dusk may be more safe. It's
important to take down the nests because all the offspring will produce
the next generation - they are the ones to overwinter. So hopefully
taking care of the wasps now will reduce your problems next year. Hiring
a professional is another option, but likely an expensive one.
Please let me know if you have more questions after reading the fact
(I took down 10 nests about the size of baseballs
from under my deck last night!!)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- What should you use to kill Box Elder bugs?
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?
- When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?