Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a deck that holds a raised hot tub about 3 - 4 feet off the ground (it's on a wood stand). Unfortunatley, bees or wasps (not sure which) have decided to use the insulation underneath the hot tub as their home. Help! I have elementary age kids that are always outside. How do I get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I am having the same problem in back yard!! Do
you notice wasps with "dangling" legs flying around the area? Do you see
any of the nests? I am guessing you have paper wasps - they like to
build open nests (you can see the individual cells instead of enclosed
like a hornet nest). To be sure, please read this fact sheet on social
wasps (see attached). To get rid of the wasps, you will need to
treat/take down the nests and treat the adults. There are many liquid
products out there that will kill the adults almost on contact. Many
insecticides are aerosol and can be sprayed quite a distance from the
nest. In your case, the nests will be difficult to locate under a deck.
You can do it yourself, and treating at dawn/dusk may be more safe. It's
important to take down the nests because all the offspring will produce
the next generation - they are the ones to overwinter. So hopefully
taking care of the wasps now will reduce your problems next year. Hiring
a professional is another option, but likely an expensive one.
Please let me know if you have more questions after reading the fact
(I took down 10 nests about the size of baseballs
from under my deck last night!!)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have little black beetles in my home do you know what they are and how to get rid of them?
- When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- I came up the stairs this morning, thinking there was a wad of cat hair...Ohhh was I wrong! It was a beetle almost 3" long! HUGE! Scared me to death! WHAT is it??? I have pictures of it along side a ruler. Brownish...legs were quite 'barbed'. Big antenae. Ewww.
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.
- I've lived in Spanish Fork all my life and have never seen a beetle like this before...and they're suddenly all over our yard! The adults are about 1/3" long. They are either yellow-green or blue-green on their backs, with a small band of light tan (almost white) all the way around the outside edge. They don't fly. We find them usually running across the driveway and I've found a few in the flower gardens as I'm weeding.
- We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?