Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
Rate This FAQ
That's not an easy question to answer why one garden is doing well and the other is not but I can give you an answer to the soil sampling. - The link to
Utah State University Analytical Laboratories is
The form you need to fill out and information on how to sample can be found on the soil sampling form http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf . Mail your sample and form to the analytical lab in Logan and you should get results in less than 10 working days. The routine soil analysis is $14 which gives you results on pH, salinity, texture, phosphorous and potassium. To understand the soil analysis, the webpage also has information on "What Next" http://www.usual.usu.edu/about/next/index.html
If you have specific plant problems, we hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic at our Salt Lake County office http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/directions, on Mondays, from 1 to 4pm from June through August. Master Gardeners are available for identifying problems and offering recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- I just ordered some blueberry bushes and wondered where I need to plant them in my garden.
- I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?