Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
Rate This FAQ
That's not an easy question to answer why one garden is doing well and the other is not but I can give you an answer to the soil sampling. - The link to
Utah State University Analytical Laboratories is
The form you need to fill out and information on how to sample can be found on the soil sampling form http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf . Mail your sample and form to the analytical lab in Logan and you should get results in less than 10 working days. The routine soil analysis is $14 which gives you results on pH, salinity, texture, phosphorous and potassium. To understand the soil analysis, the webpage also has information on "What Next" http://www.usual.usu.edu/about/next/index.html
If you have specific plant problems, we hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic at our Salt Lake County office http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/directions, on Mondays, from 1 to 4pm from June through August. Master Gardeners are available for identifying problems and offering recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- I have a flame amur maple approx 5 feet high and has been planted since spring of '07. It has turned a very pale yellow color and has several branches where the leaves look like they have been burned. It is getting sufficient water. I've noticed that other flame maples stay green and I have read that it should. I don't know what is wrong with it. Help. It also did this last summer. I have applied some iron and it did green it up a little more but not much.
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?