Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
Rate This FAQ
That's not an easy question to answer why one garden is doing well and the other is not but I can give you an answer to the soil sampling. - The link to
Utah State University Analytical Laboratories is
The form you need to fill out and information on how to sample can be found on the soil sampling form http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf . Mail your sample and form to the analytical lab in Logan and you should get results in less than 10 working days. The routine soil analysis is $14 which gives you results on pH, salinity, texture, phosphorous and potassium. To understand the soil analysis, the webpage also has information on "What Next" http://www.usual.usu.edu/about/next/index.html
If you have specific plant problems, we hold a plant problem diagnostic clinic at our Salt Lake County office http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/directions, on Mondays, from 1 to 4pm from June through August. Master Gardeners are available for identifying problems and offering recommendations.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in salt lake city, and have very hard rocky soil. I would like to plant a few varieties of trees for shade and decor (like to enjoy them in my own lifetime)I realize I'll need to excavate for good soil and root ball. Any suggestions?
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
- How can I get rid of Bur Buttercup? We have tried poisons over the past few years with little result. This year we tried a pre-emergent with little to no results. What can we do do get rid of them?
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- Looks like my potted tomato plants have Fusarium Wilt and will soon die. 1)Any thing I can do to save the plants and soil? 2)Can I eat the tomatos?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?