Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my raspberries?
Rate This FAQ
There are two types of raspberries, June-bearing and ever-bearing. June bearing raspberries produce a heavy crop of berries from June through early July. Ever-bearing produce two crops, one in June and one in the fall (September through the first frost). Prune June-bearing canes every spring. The fruit is born on two year old wood, and after it bears a crop it dies. In spring, wait until you see some green growth on the canes and then remove all the dead gray and brittle wood, cutting it at the base. This year’s fruit is produced on those canes. Prune ever-bearing raspberries in two methods. If a large fall crop is desired and no summer crop, all of the canes are mowed back 2 to 4 inches in the spring. To crop the plants two times per year, prune them as June-bearing by removing the dead canes in the spring and cutting back the remaining live canes to about 5 feet tall.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?