Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my raspberries?
Rate This FAQ
There are two types of raspberries, June-bearing and ever-bearing. June bearing raspberries produce a heavy crop of berries from June through early July. Ever-bearing produce two crops, one in June and one in the fall (September through the first frost). Prune June-bearing canes every spring. The fruit is born on two year old wood, and after it bears a crop it dies. In spring, wait until you see some green growth on the canes and then remove all the dead gray and brittle wood, cutting it at the base. This year’s fruit is produced on those canes. Prune ever-bearing raspberries in two methods. If a large fall crop is desired and no summer crop, all of the canes are mowed back 2 to 4 inches in the spring. To crop the plants two times per year, prune them as June-bearing by removing the dead canes in the spring and cutting back the remaining live canes to about 5 feet tall.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- How do I know when to cover tomatoes so the do not freeze?
- By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
- How many ears of corn grow on one stalk?
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?