Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prune my raspberries?
Rate This FAQ
There are two types of raspberries, June-bearing and ever-bearing. June bearing raspberries produce a heavy crop of berries from June through early July. Ever-bearing produce two crops, one in June and one in the fall (September through the first frost). Prune June-bearing canes every spring. The fruit is born on two year old wood, and after it bears a crop it dies. In spring, wait until you see some green growth on the canes and then remove all the dead gray and brittle wood, cutting it at the base. This year’s fruit is produced on those canes. Prune ever-bearing raspberries in two methods. If a large fall crop is desired and no summer crop, all of the canes are mowed back 2 to 4 inches in the spring. To crop the plants two times per year, prune them as June-bearing by removing the dead canes in the spring and cutting back the remaining live canes to about 5 feet tall.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?