Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We are putting in sod in our front yard - not a lot of traffic. Would like you opinion on if we should put in Kentucky Blue Grass or a biograss?
Rate This FAQ
Kentucky Blue Grass is a good species for high traffic areas, resilient. However, there are other cultivars that also work well such as fescue. Biograss is a local commercial company that has different varieties of grass, so biograss in and of itself is not a species. This is not an ideal time for installing sod, with the high temperatures. It's a good idea to prepare the soil as best as possible, which includes removing rocks/debris, removing weeds, incorporating/tilling in 2 inches or more of well aged compost (organic matter), grading, racking and tamping entire area for a smooth even surface for good sod root to soil contact. Irrigate before laying sod, and another warning about sod, the sod is cut from the farm the night before and installed the following morning so the sod does not start to decompose while rolled up sitting on a palette. Here is a USU publication on
Turfgrass cultivars for Utah
For other USU publications on lawn care go to our USU Extension Salt Lake County website at http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/lawn-care
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- I planted my tomatos around the middle of May and now they are big and great looking except not one of the 12 plants has a blossom on it. Am I not patient enough or what can I do about this?