Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live out on the western edge of South Jordan. The home I just bought has very sandy/rocky soil. The lawn is an inch to inch and one half depth. I have decided to add at least four inches of topsoil to my back yard this fall and re-seed. The front yard is still worth saving. I have three questions. What is the best Ph level for my soil in this area and what type of seed will work best in high sun location such as the one I live in and last should I consider some type of organic treatment to my front yard to strengthen it and promote growth?
Rate This FAQ
When you wrote "inch to inch and one half depth" I assume you meant the roots. Good preparation of soil is necessary for a healthy lawn. I am sending you the links to some USU Publications on Turfgrass Care and Turfgrass varieties for Utah. Tall Fescue sounds like a good choice for heat and drought tolerance (see fact sheet below) Good lawn practices for lawns is hollow core aeration, in the fall or spring, and adding well aged compost and rake it into the holes left from the aeration to improve the front yard.
Basic Turfgrass Care
Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah
For more USU publications on lawn care, go to our USU Extension Salt Lake County website at
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- My new austrian pines planted in the fall are looking pale in color and a lot of needles have fallen off. Also, my older austrian pines are looking the same way. What do they need? The soil has a lot of clay and is quite alkaline. My new spruce in the same area is doing great. What do the pines need?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?