Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what insects were on your raspberries from your description, but I am confident that they will not make you sick. There are a couple of beetles that are attracted to raspberry fruit. These small beetles do not pose health risks. Especially if you are going to make jams, the heat and boiling will take care of most problems and be safe. Here is a link to a University of Minnesota Fact Sheet on Raspberry pests. Most pests are actually inside the cane of the raspberry and not on the fruit. They do list a sap beetle and fruit worm that sometimes are found on the fruit.http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e216raspberry.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- I have recently identified three large plants growing on a stream bed in my yard as water hemlock. From what I have read on-line, this is a very poisonous plant. Supposedly the stalks remain poisonous even when dead. My plants are quite bulky, and would fill at least a few garbage cans if cut down. Can you advise me on how to safely deal with these plants?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- We have a space along the north side of our house that is shady most of the day. We are wondering what we can plant there. It is right beside the house and we would like to put something that is edible in that space? We wanted to put in strawberries but decided it was probably too shady for them.
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?