Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
Rate This FAQ
I don't know what insects were on your raspberries from your description, but I am confident that they will not make you sick. There are a couple of beetles that are attracted to raspberry fruit. These small beetles do not pose health risks. Especially if you are going to make jams, the heat and boiling will take care of most problems and be safe. Here is a link to a University of Minnesota Fact Sheet on Raspberry pests. Most pests are actually inside the cane of the raspberry and not on the fruit. They do list a sap beetle and fruit worm that sometimes are found on the fruit.http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e216raspberry.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!