Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When shall I prune my fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
A mature fruit tree should be pruned when the last winter freeze has passed, but before full bloom in spring. Prune the top portion of the tree more heavily than the lower section to keep the tree shorter and more easily managed. Thinning cuts, made at the junction of two branches, allow light and air to penetrate the tree interior for better quality fruit. Train new growth by heading back branches just above a bud or branch that will grow towards the desired direction. Prune young trees lightly and mature trees more heavily, especially if they have shown little new growth or fruit production.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.
- I live out in Magna and I was wondering if it's feasable and/or successful to attempt to grow a plum tree from a seed? When should I start?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?