Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When shall I prune my fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
A mature fruit tree should be pruned when the last winter freeze has passed, but before full bloom in spring. Prune the top portion of the tree more heavily than the lower section to keep the tree shorter and more easily managed. Thinning cuts, made at the junction of two branches, allow light and air to penetrate the tree interior for better quality fruit. Train new growth by heading back branches just above a bud or branch that will grow towards the desired direction. Prune young trees lightly and mature trees more heavily, especially if they have shown little new growth or fruit production.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?