Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When shall I prune my fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
A mature fruit tree should be pruned when the last winter freeze has passed, but before full bloom in spring. Prune the top portion of the tree more heavily than the lower section to keep the tree shorter and more easily managed. Thinning cuts, made at the junction of two branches, allow light and air to penetrate the tree interior for better quality fruit. Train new growth by heading back branches just above a bud or branch that will grow towards the desired direction. Prune young trees lightly and mature trees more heavily, especially if they have shown little new growth or fruit production.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune cherry trees?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?