Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When shall I prune my fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
A mature fruit tree should be pruned when the last winter freeze has passed, but before full bloom in spring. Prune the top portion of the tree more heavily than the lower section to keep the tree shorter and more easily managed. Thinning cuts, made at the junction of two branches, allow light and air to penetrate the tree interior for better quality fruit. Train new growth by heading back branches just above a bud or branch that will grow towards the desired direction. Prune young trees lightly and mature trees more heavily, especially if they have shown little new growth or fruit production.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time to apply dormant spray? And If I use dormant spray do I still need to spray later in the season. I have apples, pears, peaches, apricots. Also will dormant spray help with the Japanese beetle?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- We recently replaced our driveway and it now within a foot of two 10 year old Linden trees. Are the trees too close to the driveway? Will the root system eventually break up the concrete?
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- A large branch has died on my apple tree. What could have killed it?