Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When shall I prune my fruit trees?
Rate This FAQ
A mature fruit tree should be pruned when the last winter freeze has passed, but before full bloom in spring. Prune the top portion of the tree more heavily than the lower section to keep the tree shorter and more easily managed. Thinning cuts, made at the junction of two branches, allow light and air to penetrate the tree interior for better quality fruit. Train new growth by heading back branches just above a bud or branch that will grow towards the desired direction. Prune young trees lightly and mature trees more heavily, especially if they have shown little new growth or fruit production.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- Our bosic pear tree bears lots of sweet juicy fruit however they have an area around the core that seems to be gritty which makes canning difficult after cutting that part of the fruit out there isn't much left. How can we correct this problem with out fruit.
- We have a horrible locust infestation, which I can't find any news about - all of the scrub oak are defoliated. Is this common? Will the trees recover- new leaves this year? I have found them on fruit trees and washed them off - are they just passing through? Any other info on them?
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- Do I have borers in my peach trees?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?