Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
Rate This FAQ
Commercial growers water their tomatoes every 6 to 7 days. This is a deep watering (flooding) and helps the plants to develop a deeper root system. However, there is no 'perfect' way to water your garden. I water mine every 5 to 6 days because I have a somewhat sandy soil. At the Botanical Gardens we water our vegetables a little more often because they have a very shallow soil. The important thing is to water deep enough to get the water to penetrate about 6 to 10 inches every time you water, and then allow the top part of the soil (2 - 3 inches) to dry out before watering again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I need info on the care and maintenance of a Christmas Poinsetta. In the past I have lost them and really wish to keep this one alive to add to my current household of plants.
- By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
- I wanted to mail order some flowers to plant. Is the end of October too late to plant flowers?
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?