Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
Rate This FAQ
Commercial growers water their tomatoes every 6 to 7 days. This is a deep watering (flooding) and helps the plants to develop a deeper root system. However, there is no 'perfect' way to water your garden. I water mine every 5 to 6 days because I have a somewhat sandy soil. At the Botanical Gardens we water our vegetables a little more often because they have a very shallow soil. The important thing is to water deep enough to get the water to penetrate about 6 to 10 inches every time you water, and then allow the top part of the soil (2 - 3 inches) to dry out before watering again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
- How do I control field bind weed?
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing