Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
Rate This FAQ
Commercial growers water their tomatoes every 6 to 7 days. This is a deep watering (flooding) and helps the plants to develop a deeper root system. However, there is no 'perfect' way to water your garden. I water mine every 5 to 6 days because I have a somewhat sandy soil. At the Botanical Gardens we water our vegetables a little more often because they have a very shallow soil. The important thing is to water deep enough to get the water to penetrate about 6 to 10 inches every time you water, and then allow the top part of the soil (2 - 3 inches) to dry out before watering again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane