Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
Rate This FAQ
Commercial growers water their tomatoes every 6 to 7 days. This is a deep watering (flooding) and helps the plants to develop a deeper root system. However, there is no 'perfect' way to water your garden. I water mine every 5 to 6 days because I have a somewhat sandy soil. At the Botanical Gardens we water our vegetables a little more often because they have a very shallow soil. The important thing is to water deep enough to get the water to penetrate about 6 to 10 inches every time you water, and then allow the top part of the soil (2 - 3 inches) to dry out before watering again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
- I have a climbing rose that I love and would like to take a cutting and start a new plant. What is the best way to do that?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?