Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
Rate This FAQ
Commercial growers water their tomatoes every 6 to 7 days. This is a deep watering (flooding) and helps the plants to develop a deeper root system. However, there is no 'perfect' way to water your garden. I water mine every 5 to 6 days because I have a somewhat sandy soil. At the Botanical Gardens we water our vegetables a little more often because they have a very shallow soil. The important thing is to water deep enough to get the water to penetrate about 6 to 10 inches every time you water, and then allow the top part of the soil (2 - 3 inches) to dry out before watering again.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- I have a poinsettia that is about three years old. The first year it bloomed beautifully, then last year and now this year, just before the holidays, the leaves wither and fall off. I have not changed anything carewise. It is in an ideal place, gets plenty of dark hours, no drafts, filtered sun, and just enough water. Why is it doing this?
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- How do I get rid of morning glory?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?