Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?
Rate This FAQ
Maximizing lawn health is the best defense againts bindweed. Healthy lawns will often out compete this particular weed. Fertilizng regularly, mowing often at at height of 3 inches, and deepwatering less often are techniques used to do so.
Besides the previously mentioned, in the middle of the summer not much can be done accept keeping the weed mowed down and pulling off vines that have flowers. However, this fall, at a point near your average first frost date spray with a broadleaf weed killer containing 2,4-D, dicamba and mecoprop (these are the active ingredients of many common broadleaf weed killers). Doing so at this time allows the pesticide to sit in the roots all winter and maximize damage to the plant. Some have found that products containing carfentrazone in addition the the previous three mentioned chemicals are somewhat more effective at controlling bindweed than other, less expensive broadleaf weed killing products. Weedfree Zone and Speedzone are a couple of brand named products containing this particular chemical. If needed, spray again in the spring just as the bindweed is beginning to flower. If you choose to use a pesticide, carefully read and follow all label instructions. You will probably never totally eliminate the bindweed but it can be controlled with persistance.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a mature elm in my backyard that was probably planted when the house was built in the 70's. We bought it 3 years ago and I have noticed that something is eating away at the bark. There is a reddish-brown streak (almost like what you would see in a human that has blood poisoning) that runs up the bark. I cut off one of the lower limbs that the problem had progressed to. The bark is very "mushy" and looks decayed. Chunks of bark fall off at the affected areas. I cannot see any bugs that may be causing this but I suspect that is the cause. This tree has 2 main branches that extend from the bottom and this is where the main damage seems to be. I am concerned that the tree could "split" at this point if it becomes weakened. I need to know the cause and treatment.
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.
- I live in Mapleton. I have been reading about the James Pecan Tree, which is supposed to mature by September 1st and be okay in zone 5. What do you think about my trying to grow it here? How do they do?
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- This year we planted our first home garden. It was a lot of fun, but we need to know what to do to make it better next year. Specifically: our plants grew VERY large, but did not yield much fruit. What fruit we did get was typically small and misshapen. We did not fertilize, except some nitrogen along with dead lawn clippings last fall. What should we do this fall to get the soils ready for more fruit and less leaves next year?
- There is a pecan tree where I work that is dropping leaves like crazy. Can I add the leaves to my vegetable garden and let it compost over the winter? Is there any toxicity in pecan leaves?
- My backyard has far too much grass. I'd like to turn a fairly large portion of the lawn into waterwise beds and also expand my backyard vegetable garden. Two years ago, I made some beds by removing the turf. However, it is not only very hard work but it also results in a large amount of excess sod, and takes a good amount of topsoil with it. It also seems wasteful to send it to a landfill. Is there a way to kill the grass without herbicides? For example, will covering it with black plastic be an effective way to kill the grass? If so, how long will it be before I can plant in the new beds?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?