Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
Rate This FAQ
It is probably a fungal disease called anthracnose, also common on other trees such as maple, oak and ash. During years of extended cool, wet springs, symptoms appear as water soaked lesions on the leaves. These spots enlarge and turn reddish-brown or black along the veins. Cultural controls are only marginally effective for anthracnose and are aimed at raking up and destroying fallen leaves in the fall and removing infected branches in spring. Maintain trees’ healthy condition by adequate water and fertilizers. Anthracnose is rarely a serious threat to trees’ survival.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?
- I have a very large, beautiful Cottonwood tree on my property, that is near the property line with my neighbor. She wants to put in a new fence, because the tree has been pushing up the posts for her old fence. The fencing company has said that they can put in a new fence, but they will have to "shave off" a bit of the tree trunk and possibly some of the root near the surface of the ground. I am worried that something like that could lead to the tree getting sick or dying. I want to keep peace among neighbors, but it would be a disaster and very expensive to lose the tree because of something likethis. Can you please tell me if a Cottonwood tree is hardy enough to withstand such a "shaving" procedure?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?