Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
Rate This FAQ
It is probably a fungal disease called anthracnose, also common on other trees such as maple, oak and ash. During years of extended cool, wet springs, symptoms appear as water soaked lesions on the leaves. These spots enlarge and turn reddish-brown or black along the veins. Cultural controls are only marginally effective for anthracnose and are aimed at raking up and destroying fallen leaves in the fall and removing infected branches in spring. Maintain trees’ healthy condition by adequate water and fertilizers. Anthracnose is rarely a serious threat to trees’ survival.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?