Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
Rate This FAQ
There have been several recent inquiries on beetles in peach trees that are similar in description to your's. I think it may be a soldier beetle. Soldier beetles are predators on small insects, such as aphids. It is likely that the peach tree had some green peach aphids earlier this summer. Aphids suck the sap from leaves and cause the leaves to curl. Aphids produce sticky honeydew. I think that the aphids attracted the soldier beetles to the peach trees. The soldier beetles would eat the aphids, so they are a beneficial insect.
Here is a link to an image of a solider beetle:
It is not the same species as the one in your peach trees, but it is similar.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have spider mites on my IIiamna rivularis. It looks like I also have spider mites on my Mirabilis jalapa. I don't remember of having any problems with growing Mirabilis jalapa before. They have always been an easy plant for me to raise. I have read the article on spider mites and I am wondering if I should just let them go or buy an insecticide like Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 Insect, Disease and Mite control. The spider mites are taking over my yard.
- Do spiders eat earwigs?
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- I am interested in beekeeping, and am currently reading several books on the subject. All of the books have said, "contact your local extension office to find out about apiary organizations and to register your hives." I've looked all over your site and can't find anything on this subject for Washington County. Where can I find information on apiary organizations in this area?
- Is there a beetle around Salt Lake City that looks like the big, black, fast-running roaches I remember from New Orleans?
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?