Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
Rate This FAQ
There have been several recent inquiries on beetles in peach trees that are similar in description to your's. I think it may be a soldier beetle. Soldier beetles are predators on small insects, such as aphids. It is likely that the peach tree had some green peach aphids earlier this summer. Aphids suck the sap from leaves and cause the leaves to curl. Aphids produce sticky honeydew. I think that the aphids attracted the soldier beetles to the peach trees. The soldier beetles would eat the aphids, so they are a beneficial insect.
Here is a link to an image of a solider beetle:
It is not the same species as the one in your peach trees, but it is similar.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- I have black beetles about an inch long in my home. They do not like the light, and look similar to a blister beetle, but the head is more compact to the body. I only see one or two at a time, but for every one I kill, one more shows up. What are they, and how do I get rid of them?
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- Do spiders eat earwigs?
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?