Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
Rate This FAQ
I am not positive. It sounds as if it might be mites, which can be a real problem on green beans. However it may also be the Mexican bean beetle. It would help if you could send me a close-up of the plant and the leaves, especially the underside.
If it is mites (which are very small and hard to see) you can apply an insecticidal soap making sure to spray the underside of the leaves. Do this about every four to five days.
If it is the Mexican bean beetle (larva are orange and look like a pin cushion), you can go to the nursery and get a registered insecticide such as sevin or malathion.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- I have a house in Kanab with a lot of Desert Poppies and Blue Flax Grass that is pretty tall surrounded by Junipers in the front yard. I think I may have Noseeums. If so how do I get rid of them? I got bit up pretty bad last weekend working in the yard.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?