Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live at the edge of a neighborhood bordering the mountains in North Ogden. The last week we have seen hundreds and hundreds of little beetle-like bugs that have six legs, two antennas and a green/black body with a bright orange border. It appears the adult version of the beetle is about 1/4 inch long and fairly round. I'm wondering what this bug is and what damage it can/will do. I have close-up photos that I'd be more than happy to provide. Can you please help me identify this pest?
Rate This FAQ
For what it's worth, there between 1,000,000 and
30,000,000 things out there with 6 legs and 2 antennae!
From your description, though, it sounds like you may
be dealing with some type of immature stinkbug, perhaps
a green shield bug, or a Say stink bug. These are members
of the True Bug family and have piercing-sucking mouthparts
which they use to suck the juices out of plants. They are
usually not of much concern, but can become damaging to
crops/gardens if their numbers become too high.
Take a look at some of these pictures and let me know if
this is what you are seeing. If not, send along the pictures
and I'll see what I can do.
The Chlorochroa sayi is likely the species you are seeing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- I have a big problem with a little pest in my house. I would call them fruit flies, but they don't hang around fruit. They mostly bug me as I sit here at this computer, and often times in the bathroom by the mirror. How can I get rid of these tiny flies?
- We have ants inside and outside of our house. Twice a year, we have flying ants in the basement of our house. In our garden and strawberry patch, we have big aggresive ants that make it difficult to enjoy our strawberries. What is the best way to get rid of the ants in these places? Is is ok to poison them around the strawberries? What about in the house?
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?