Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live at the edge of a neighborhood bordering the mountains in North Ogden. The last week we have seen hundreds and hundreds of little beetle-like bugs that have six legs, two antennas and a green/black body with a bright orange border. It appears the adult version of the beetle is about 1/4 inch long and fairly round. I'm wondering what this bug is and what damage it can/will do. I have close-up photos that I'd be more than happy to provide. Can you please help me identify this pest?
Rate This FAQ
For what it's worth, there between 1,000,000 and
30,000,000 things out there with 6 legs and 2 antennae!
From your description, though, it sounds like you may
be dealing with some type of immature stinkbug, perhaps
a green shield bug, or a Say stink bug. These are members
of the True Bug family and have piercing-sucking mouthparts
which they use to suck the juices out of plants. They are
usually not of much concern, but can become damaging to
crops/gardens if their numbers become too high.
Take a look at some of these pictures and let me know if
this is what you are seeing. If not, send along the pictures
and I'll see what I can do.
The Chlorochroa sayi is likely the species you are seeing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- I have these little tiny beetle bugs. I suspect they are the mexican jumping bug thing. They are all over my tomatos, they eat the leaves until I wonder if the tomatoes will survive. What can I do to get rid of them? P.S. They eat my potato plants too.
- I have little black beetles in my home do you know what they are and how to get rid of them?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?