Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
Rate This FAQ
It is very difficult to know if you have springtails or not without a sample. You can send a sample into the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Lab here in Logan. Instructions for submitting a sample and the forms are located here: http://utahpests.usu.edu/uppdl/htm/forms.
Springtail problems are usually a result of too much moisture. Using dehumidifiers can help make the house less attractive. Is this what you are seeing (see picture?). If so, please visit this fact sheet to learn more about the life cycle and control options: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2070.html.
I hope this helps with your infestation. Please do not hesitate to email me with future questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Pole bean plants are getting eaten by something, little bites all over. Now leaves are turning yellow and drying up. What do you think the problem is. They get plenty of water.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- What should you use to kill Box Elder bugs?
- I recently moved into a house. I noticed what I thought were little black ants didn't bother me I've delt with little black ants before. then I noticed that these little ants didn't have legs that stick out. then I noticed that they weren't ants. once in awhile I would see them when I swept the floor and occationaly I would see one or a few climbing up my wall. but now the really sad thing is they are all over in my Flour, My bags of rice and now i will have to throw it all out. What kind of a bug is it? it is about 1/4 inch long, very thin, and very black. Help me. And what do I need to do to get rid of it?
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.