Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
Rate This FAQ
Quaking aspen trees propagate by underground stems, suckers that extend from the base of the tree. Surrounding the root system with an underground barrier will confine the root system, but this strategy is usually impractical. Suckers are more prolific when trees are stressed, so maintain good tree vigor with deep infrequent irrigation, sufficient fertilizer and minimal disturbance to the root system. Avoid pruning aspen trees severely or they will respond with additional suckering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I conserve water and still have a nice lawn?
- I have a very large, beautiful Cottonwood tree on my property, that is near the property line with my neighbor. She wants to put in a new fence, because the tree has been pushing up the posts for her old fence. The fencing company has said that they can put in a new fence, but they will have to "shave off" a bit of the tree trunk and possibly some of the root near the surface of the ground. I am worried that something like that could lead to the tree getting sick or dying. I want to keep peace among neighbors, but it would be a disaster and very expensive to lose the tree because of something likethis. Can you please tell me if a Cottonwood tree is hardy enough to withstand such a "shaving" procedure?
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- When is the best time time to water my lawn? I've heard it's better in the evening because it gives time to soak in and I've heard morning because if you do it at night the lawn will get moldy. Thanks.
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?