Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
Rate This FAQ
Quaking aspen trees propagate by underground stems, suckers that extend from the base of the tree. Surrounding the root system with an underground barrier will confine the root system, but this strategy is usually impractical. Suckers are more prolific when trees are stressed, so maintain good tree vigor with deep infrequent irrigation, sufficient fertilizer and minimal disturbance to the root system. Avoid pruning aspen trees severely or they will respond with additional suckering.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- I am in West Valley city, and for the past 3 years my grass has looked really good, and last year, the entire front park lane died, and I now have large areas in the front yard that are dead as well. I have heard of grubs, however I have no idea how to identify what is going on with the grass or how to treat it. You can pull up larges patches of grass easily, there don't appear to be any roots in some areas and I would like my grass to be pretty again. What can you recommend?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?