Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
Rate This FAQ
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the weed in your alfalfa field. I consulted with Dr. Steve Dewey and unfortunately neither of us can appropriately identify the weed from the description provided.
Since identification is the most important "first step" in controlling this problem weed we need to be assured that we have properly identified this plant before we suggest some control measures. May I suggest the following:
1. If possible contact your local county agricultural agent and ask him/her to help you make a positive identification. Many of the county agents in Utah are very good at plant identification and they should be able to get a good identification to common name if not to genus and species.
2. If the county agent does not recognize the weed have them take digital photo of the plant. Many of the agents are very skilled with the digital camera and they should be able to get some good pictures that they could send to me for identification.
3. After we have made a proper identification I think I can give you some specific ideas for successful control practices.
I regret that I am not able to be more specific and helpful and this time but will be happy to assist you further when we know the name of the weed.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Looks like my potted tomato plants have Fusarium Wilt and will soon die. 1)Any thing I can do to save the plants and soil? 2)Can I eat the tomatos?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- What is the best thing to do with seedlings that are too tall for the seed starting kits? I have cauliflower and tomato plants that are 'leggy' and now too tall, but not yet ready to go outside. I received last week an advertisement about that hybrid zoysia grass that needs little watering and little mowing. Is that for real and if so, would it work in our climate? Supposedly it is cold hardy to -30. If I think that I there are gophers in my yard, what is the best way to eradicate them?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!