Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
Rate This FAQ
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the weed in your alfalfa field. I consulted with Dr. Steve Dewey and unfortunately neither of us can appropriately identify the weed from the description provided.
Since identification is the most important "first step" in controlling this problem weed we need to be assured that we have properly identified this plant before we suggest some control measures. May I suggest the following:
1. If possible contact your local county agricultural agent and ask him/her to help you make a positive identification. Many of the county agents in Utah are very good at plant identification and they should be able to get a good identification to common name if not to genus and species.
2. If the county agent does not recognize the weed have them take digital photo of the plant. Many of the agents are very skilled with the digital camera and they should be able to get some good pictures that they could send to me for identification.
3. After we have made a proper identification I think I can give you some specific ideas for successful control practices.
I regret that I am not able to be more specific and helpful and this time but will be happy to assist you further when we know the name of the weed.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.
- I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?