Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I cut back my shrubs?
Rate This FAQ
Generally, any plant that blooms in the spring should be pruned immediately after flowers have faded. Summer-flowering shrubs bloom on wood produced this season, so they should be pruned during the winter while the plant is dormant. To rejuvenate an older shrub, shear stems back to the ground. For general shrub pruning, shear to the desired height then thin the hedge by cutting branches back to larger branches. Shape hedges to an inverted “V” so that sunlight hits all foliage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?