Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I cut back my shrubs?
Rate This FAQ
Generally, any plant that blooms in the spring should be pruned immediately after flowers have faded. Summer-flowering shrubs bloom on wood produced this season, so they should be pruned during the winter while the plant is dormant. To rejuvenate an older shrub, shear stems back to the ground. For general shrub pruning, shear to the desired height then thin the hedge by cutting branches back to larger branches. Shape hedges to an inverted “V” so that sunlight hits all foliage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?