Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I cut back my shrubs?
Rate This FAQ
Generally, any plant that blooms in the spring should be pruned immediately after flowers have faded. Summer-flowering shrubs bloom on wood produced this season, so they should be pruned during the winter while the plant is dormant. To rejuvenate an older shrub, shear stems back to the ground. For general shrub pruning, shear to the desired height then thin the hedge by cutting branches back to larger branches. Shape hedges to an inverted “V” so that sunlight hits all foliage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?