Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I cut back my shrubs?
Rate This FAQ
Generally, any plant that blooms in the spring should be pruned immediately after flowers have faded. Summer-flowering shrubs bloom on wood produced this season, so they should be pruned during the winter while the plant is dormant. To rejuvenate an older shrub, shear stems back to the ground. For general shrub pruning, shear to the desired height then thin the hedge by cutting branches back to larger branches. Shape hedges to an inverted “V” so that sunlight hits all foliage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- I have rings in my lawn that are about two feet wide. I suspect they are fairy ring, but the description for fairy ring doesn't quite fit. The inside of the circle is not lush and green, it looks the same as the rest of the lawn. There is just a semi-dead cirle surrounding good lawn. Do you have any help for me.
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- I have read that one should water infrequently and then water to penetrate 6 to 10 inches especially if one has necrotic ring spot. I live in Sandy where the top soil is only four inches and then sand and rock. Does it make sense to water 6 to 8 inches? Also does necrotic ring spot live in sandy rocky soil? Is it possible to control or eliminate the necrotic ring spot by using a service or must I excavate and if so to what extent?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?