Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like you might have the western raspberry fruitworm, but it is hard to know for sure without a sample. This is a beetle. The adults will feed on the leaves in spring and lay eggs on the fruit. The larvae feed within the developing fruit for 5-6 weeks, and are especially noticed at harvest. The larvae, however, are whitish and only about 1/3-inch long. The larvae then drop to the ground to overwinter as pupae in the soil. Treatment is targeted at the period of egg hatch, just at pre-bloom and again post bloom, if necessary. Spinosad is an excellent, safe product to use, but carbaryl and malathion will also work.
These larvae can be washed out, as you have done, and they are also killed in the canning or freezing process.
If possible, please bring a sample of the damaged fruit as well as the larvae to your local Extension office, and they can send the sample to the Utah Plant Pest Diagnostic Lab. Or, you can visit the Web site for forms and mailing instructions: www.utahpests.usu.edu/uppdl. This way, we will be recommending the right treatment for the right pest.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have millions of tiny tan bugs that jump when you try to swat them. I think they are springtails, and I have no idea how to get rid of them. They are coming into our house (we rent out a basement apartment), and they are all over outside! They are on the concrete, the stucco, everywhere! They don't seem to be bothering my two cats or our plants outside. How do I get rid of them? I've tried putting Sevin outside around the doorway and windowsills to keep them out, however it is not working.
- I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
- I am interested in beekeeping, and am currently reading several books on the subject. All of the books have said, "contact your local extension office to find out about apiary organizations and to register your hives." I've looked all over your site and can't find anything on this subject for Washington County. Where can I find information on apiary organizations in this area?
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- I live in Bloomington Just south of Saint George, Utah. About a week ago I noticed hundreds of little greenish/yellowish flying bugs. Like I said they have been here about a week and they are not going away. I have lived in the area for about six years now and have never seen them before. Do you have any idea what they are and how I can control them? Regards Randy
- Do spiders eat earwigs?
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- I have millions of tiny black jumping bugs in my garage. They go in and out of the cracks in the floors, all over the concrete, walls, etc. I see very few in the day time; However at night millions everywhere. I have tried every spay I know of but nothing seems to kill them. Please Help.