Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
Rate This FAQ
Some trees send up suckers when they die, others don't. Since I don't know what kind of tree you have, you can treat it as though it were the suckering kind. Make a series of downward cuts around the trunk near the ground going through the bark. Do this all around the tree. Put drops of concentrated (not diluted) Roundup in these cuts. The Roundup will be transported to the roots and kill them first, then the top will die. It can take up to a couple of months for the tree to die.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- I have recently identified three large plants growing on a stream bed in my yard as water hemlock. From what I have read on-line, this is a very poisonous plant. Supposedly the stalks remain poisonous even when dead. My plants are quite bulky, and would fill at least a few garbage cans if cut down. Can you advise me on how to safely deal with these plants?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- I have varmits that are ruining my lawn during the winter (under snow). They make trails and destroy the lawn about 4 inches wide. I can find no holes only the trails and dead grass flipped to the side of the trails. Any ideas? We are going crazy trying to figure this out. We have never had this problem until last year.